Nervous about funeral

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

After a short battle with cancer, I lost my grandad a couple of days ago and the cremation is happening on Wednesday and I am absolutely terrified. 

We knew from the beginning his cancer was terminal and the last fortnight of his life was horrific for him. From being able to walk 5km 4x a week to not being able to even feed himself in less than 6 months was such a shock and though there's a part of me thats glad hes no longer suffering I'm completely numb

He was one of my best friends and I don't think its hit me yet that hes gone and isnt coming back and I think I'm worried about the funeral as that's when its going to hit me. I'm 23 and have never attended one before and I just need to talk to someone about this as I don't know how to talk to my friends and family

• Hi Radio welcome to the forum. My sincere condolences on your very sad loss of your Grandad. 

I think the essence of having  the funeral is a way for us to celebrate all that was good about the person and also a reflection on a life well lived. Its a sad day, because its the last chance to be with the person in this life and that's hard, but it is also a time  to remember that he was so well loved and many don't get that or have that so he has been very special to lots of folks. 

Its  a time to say farewell to worldly things and and for him to be free form pain and at rest,  until you meet again.  I have a verse that I always think reflects how we feel and it brings me enormous comfort and I hope it might do the same for you.

Those we love don't go away

They walk beside us ever day

Unseen, Unheard, but always near

Still loved, still missed 

Still very dear. 

gail

Community Champion Badge