Loss of family.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

I have recently found out that my uncle died of lung cancer.  His sister also died 3 years ago of lung cancer and their mother also died of the same thing.

Ever since then, my brain is like a rave in Ibiza.  I am on the 2nd sleepless night.  In 2014 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and in 2000, had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix.  So with this latest news, I am terrified that I have this faulty gene and that I will get lung cancer.  

No matter what I do to unwind, the thoughts won't go away.  I was estranged from them, just in case you were wondering.  

• Hi Jessie

Welcome to the community.  Your concerns are fully understandable and will cause great amounts of anxiety.  There is some excellent information on this page which I hope you will find useful.  The section on testing is very important but please read the whole page a few times to get a full understanding.  At the bottom there is an In your area - click on this, enter your postcode and see what support is local to you.  They may offer 1-2-1 or group sessions and, due to restrictions, this will probably be 1-2-1 over the phone.

As well as contacting your GP you can also call the Macmillan support line on 0808 808 0000 every day from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.  You can post on the community whenever you wish and someone will always respond.  There is also, on the menu above, an Ask the Expert section which may be of use.

Hope all your worries will soon be vastly reduced and sending you a big hug.

David