Pet Care to cover Chemo/Radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi all.

I'm currently midway through a 6 week course of weekly chemotherapy and when this ends I will start 5 weeks of Mon-Fri Chemo/Radiotherapy. My problem is this will be at a hospital 65 miles away in the middle of winter (I'm in Scotland) starting at 8.30am on a Monday morning.

More than my health, my stress is my cat... I may not be able to come home every day either due to transport, how I'm feeling or weather and so my worst case scenario plan is to book him into his usual cattery (he's been there before, but only ever for a few days) for potentially the whole 5 weeks as even if I can get home on a Friday the cattery is another 1.5 hours round trip and he will need to go back in on Sunday. I'm worried how boarding for 5 weeks will affect him - the cattery is lovely but he's a really energetic outdoors boy and I don't know how his mental health will hold up. He's not really a candidate for a cat sitter either. Can anyone share their experiences of similar or reassure me it will be OK? 

Thanks x

• Hi  

It must be very distressing for you to have to try and decide what's the best course of action for your cat while you're having treatment.

I can't offer any solutions, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet so responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to spot.

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming treatment.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• There is a charity called The Cinnamon Trust, perhaps they can help or at least advise. 

• I hope you found a resolution and wish you well. 

• I know some pet insurers cover the costs of things like this when an owner has to go into hospital. I really hope you worked this out :/  I know if I could I would take my pets with me as I am expecting up to eight weeks isolation for a stem cell transplant. They are our babies and joy.