5 tips for pet care during treatment

• 8 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here today - it's Rachel here from the Community team. 

I wanted to let you know about the latest blog from our Cancer Information Team in celebration of National Cat day all about looking after your pet whilst having treatment. 

To read the blog, simply click here

We hope you find the blog useful - if you have any questions, or need any support, please don't hesitate to get in touch by emailing us at community@macmillan.org.uk

Take care,

Rachel
Macmillan's Community team 

• Thank you Rachel 

This is really helpful to many of us. My Cat was so affectionate when I was poorly. They can be wonderful therapy 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi

Thanks for your comment, I'm so glad to hear that you feel the blog will be useful. 

How lovely - sounds like your cat gave your some well deserved TLC while you were unwell. 

We know how important our pets are to our wellbeing and when you're going through treatment, you don't also want to be worrying about how your pet is on top of everything else. 

Take care, 

Rach

• Yes I agree they have the capacity to take your mind off your worries especially when they shout orders at you like my Hugo does. He has a gift of sitting by us if we are sick so much so if he gets to near or makes a fuss we feel we need to go to the doctors. He’s done it with me, my hubby and my daughter. It’s really strange and a bit worrying as he’s very independent most of the time. We love him although bossy he’s part of our family 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Ann, 

Hugo sounds like a wonderfully caring little cat, what a good nurse he would make! 

I hope he continues to provide caring support to you all, especially when you need to take your mind off anything you may be going through. 

Take care, 

Rachel

• Hi Ann.

You mentioned that Hugo sits beside you if you are ill. One of my cats, Chynna used to go to sleep on my lap almost every day while I was waiting for the hospital transport car to take me to my radiotherapy appointments. She had never done it before and she stopped as soon as my treatment was over. A couple of months ago she did it again for a few days. I started to worry a little that she might know something I didn't.

I posted about it a while ago in a post entitled Cats Know.

Take care

Kim

Blackstuff
  • Yes yes.  

Hugo freaks us out now.

He’s normally very independent and sometimes I’m not sure he likes us even touching him.
    So when he starts sitting by us as he senses it. I’m sure he’s got a gift. He knew before diagnosis. Miscarriage my daughter me cancer hubby Parkinson’s.
    It can’t be a coincidence! 

To be honest we are quite pleased when he carry’s on as normal. 

We are blessed with these fluffy creatures in our lives aren’t we? 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Blackstuff.

I will check out your post. We are blessed with these fluffies in our lives 

Ann
     ‍Art