Puppy Love

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I am 67 years old and had always been afraid of dogs (legs turned to jelly if a dog as much as looked at me) until my daughters reached the ages of 6 and 10. The look on my 10 year olds face when we said we thought it was time to think of having puppies was one of sheer joy. She promised she would look after them and she did. She fed them, cleaned up after them, trained them and even took them to the vet. While I was happy that the girls would not have the fear that I had, I was still not comfortable with our two beautiful golden labs. So time went on and the girls always had a dog to love and look after. Our eldest daughter moved away and her dog went too. 

I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer just over a year ago and in August both girls decided to look for puppies as company for their older dogs and for themselves. They researched and debated and eventually found the right puppies but they needed to write a letter of application to the owner describing the home and life these pups would have. I was appointed to write the letter and I was truthful but of course I was biased. To their delight they were accepted and in October they went 180 miles to collect their beautiful cockerpoo crossed with a miniature poodle pups. One stayed with my daughter who lives 150 miles away and the other came home with the daughter who still lives with us.

She came in the door with the most beautiful little bundle of soft reddish fur held under her chin. She asked if I would like to hold her and without thinking I held out my arms. I have never held a dog before and I can’t find words to describe the feeling of holding a dog for the first time in 67 years. She is beautiful, warm and soft and the comfort I get when she nestles her little head under my chin is amazing. Posy is now 5 months old and she is very special. I get to cuddle and play with her every day. My daughter generously ‘shares’ her with me.

Would this all have happened if I didn’t have cancer. Perhaps not! I might have been too busy. It took 67 years but I finally truly understand why people love puppies and the dogs they will become.

• Hi Florry. We have had four dogs over the last 41 years and each of them has been a son to us.  We now have our 13 years old cocker spaniel Harry who is blind but still active and very sociable. it may be that having cancer which is such a frightening diagnosis for anyone has opened up a special little space in your heart for Posy.  Dogs are so amazing snd the unconditional love they give you, and the moments of sheer joy and laughter are so precious.  Hugs to you and Harry sends a big sniff and lick to Posy xx

• Florry 

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. What joy you can get from that little fluffy and how much love she can give you. 
    Have fun with Posy. She sound adorable 

Ann
     ‍Art

• So nice to know you are out there Artsie Ann and Walkinglady. I really love the idea that cancer , because it is such a frightening (and sometime lonely) diagnosis, has opened up the space in my heart to love this little dog. When she snuggled under my chin this evening I thought of you both. 
    I find it amazing the way dogs like your Harry can manage to live a slower but happy life without sight and sometimes without hearing. When friends suggest that it would be kinder to put our 13 year old Elli down because she has arthritis and other problems my reply is always ‘would you put me down?’ She has meds to help her with the pain. She eats and plays and wags her tail to show how happy she is just to be with us. Every day we have Elli and you have your Harry, Walkinglady, is a happy day!

Take care of yourselves, Florry xx

• Thats it in a nutshell. They’re happy bringing love and being loved. 
    Don’t listen to people telling you wouldn't it. You will know when it’s kinder. 
    I have with past fluffy friends they tell you.

They’re adorable and precious 

Ann
     ‍Art