Do I get another dog?

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

As you can guess by my user name, I am a dog person. I have always, as an adult, had 2 dogs ( once I had 3 at the same time - not reccomended, you dont have enough hands!). Up until a few weeks ago I had two old staffies who I adopted from a rescue place 3.5 years ago. They were nearly geriatric when I took them on, so no suprise that the oldest reached the point of no return a few weeks ago. That leaves me with one, who is herself about 12 and very immobile. Still happy and likes her food and fusses, but I know she wont be around too much longer. I have always had dogs and the idea of not taking any more on is hard. I love their companionship and also the fact that you have to walk them no matter the weather etc. As I haven't been able to walk mine for a good few months due to their infirmity, when I retired I took to walking rescue dogs once a week for a couple of hours. As my own health is good at the moment, it is great to get out and about. However my diagnosis is treatable but not curable, so I am pondering what I will do when my old dear dies. I would like to take on another 2 rescue dogs, probably oldish but hopefully fit, but am I being selfish because what happens if I get iller, or terminal? Do I go with it or do I resist my own urges? No easy answer really. I do have a son who would probably take on any new dogs if they were a breed he likes ( he loved the staffies) but I cannot be absolutely sure and dont want to impose on him. Any one else struggling with the same dilemma?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

dear ownedbystaffies, I sympathise with your dilemma, I lost my last dog aged 18 just before I was diagnosed with cancer in 2018 and due to my prognosis and medical commitments have reluctantly decided not to get another dog. I have had a dog all my adult life and it has taken a while to adjust to not having that unconditional love in the house. 
    I don’t know if you are aware of the cinnamon trust as this may be a solution for you if you decide to take on another dog given your own circumstances. 

https://cinnamon.org.uk/home/

• Hi Jane,

Thanks for that - it is a hard one, and I do really struggle to envisage life without a dog of my own . Hope you have coped with your decision. There are upsides of course - no worries about being out for too long, extra cost of boarding for holidays, vet fees, less mud etc. But that unconditional love is hard to do without.

I do know about the cinnamon trust thanks. I have considered if I might go down the fostering route for a rescue charity, making clear that it could change anytime. If I take an older dog, and my sell by date doesnt arrive before the dog's, well then it was a failed foster in the best possible way.