Thank goodness for dogs

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

My dogs can't read so I have to post it here to acknowledge how much support they have been and continue to be.

My partner got Terminal diagnosis 14 months ago and the 2 dogs have been there to be hugged, talked to, confided in, need walking feeding and their gentle gazing keeps us both going.

Their antics keep us laughing. They are both rather simple dogs but the younger plays the game of getting in my partners place each time they  get out of a chair and tries to get in their place on the bed. People ask if the dogs are sad or behaving weird at our situation.  We reply not at all, apart from the younger one getting ready to be  my next partner.  

I know that as things progress and when I am on my own I will have two fluffy stupid companions to help keep me going. 

So to my two boys ...... thank you and you are worth your little weight in gold.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

When you stroke or spend time with a dog you know, you release oxytocin, a hormone that offers pain relief, comfort and reassurance. It's not just ng with them- they help us by helping us with this hormone. 

That, and they know when we need them- they read us like books, and they always seek to "help" somehow. Whether making us laugh or comforting us when we cry... they put up with so much because they love us. 

Im glad you have your dogs to help you both, I know I couldn't live without mine. She's a black lab, and she is an assistance dog, so goes everywhere with me and when I feel too blue she hears all my secrets and I know from her eyes that she understands my pain. Like your dogs, she plays silly buggers to make me smile and laugh...

Thanks for sharing about your dogs, and giving us all a chance to celebrate how wonderful they are. I'm sorry things are difficult, but I'm glad you have the unconditional love your pups offer.

•  I really like that there is science behind the dogs (release oxytocin, a hormone that offers pain relief, comfort and reassurance). I will have to tell the oldest that whilst I am releasing Oxytocin, his breath is releasing something that resembles dead fish and toxic waste - maybe a trip to the dental hygienist for him. 

Just been out in the rain with them and the day starts well.