Here we go...

Less than one minute read time.

Mum has had a syringe driver and catheter fitted in the last day. She is sleeping most of the time.

I'm terrified. I'm terrified of being the only one here when she takes her last breath... I've never seen anyone die before.

I'm scared that she's in pain but unable to speak so can't have it fixed. I'm scared that she's scared.... 

I don't really know what to do with myself....

I learned how to crochet because she told me she never had a blanket made for her before; but I wont be able to finish it for her to see :'( 

Things are so tough at the moment.... I don't want my Mum to go....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, are you okay there?maybe talk through your fears with the nurses who call.

I suspect that if she's sleeping and peaceful she's not in pain.

I watched my Aunty take her last breath from copd but the same scenario. I knew when she was in any pain as her body reacted even though she didn't wake up and the nurses adjusted the meds accordingly.

Talk to your mum, she'll hear you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I'm not really very good at all. I keep crying even though I've been looking after her since diagnosis in July. I don't know why it's hit me all of a sudden. I may just do that, talking to the nurses I mean. Mum has COPD, too so either one of them will take her. How did you cope when you were in the room? is it scary?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ilan, 

My mum passed away at the end of May in hospice. She was 54. I remember thinking that when she had the syringe driver fitted that it was her last day or two on earth. She was in no pain, and slept very peacefully, the nurses assess the dosage every hour, so if I saw that she was getting agitated, they would up the dosage of Midazolam, the same for secretions on her chest if her breathing was noisy. Hearing is the last sense to go, so even though she is sedated she may be able to hear you still. I was there when my mum took her last breath, I wont lie to you, seeing someone so important to you pass is traumatic, but I take comfort in the fact that I was with her. In a way it's like a full circle, she was there when I was brought into the world and I was there when she left. Don't be scared that she's scared, I can promise you she is not in any pain whatsoever and is having a lovely deep sleep.

Stay strong for her,

Lots of love, 

A

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ilan

I know exactly how you feel because I nursed my Mum to the end. The nurses said to me that even if my Mum couldn't talk her face would show any pain so rest assured if she looks peaceful she is. Have you got any nurses staying with you or have you got a Prime Care nurse number you can ring if you need anyone. They are there to support you as well during this bit of time so use them even if that is just to be with you and keep Mum peaceful. I have never seen anyone ill and my Mum passed peacefully so don't be scared. What you are doing for your Mum is so hard for you but the greatest testament to your love for her and when her time comes you will know you did everything you could right til her journey elsewhere begins. Sending massive hugs to you xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ilan

I know exactly how you feel because I nursed my Mum to the end. The nurses said to me that even if my Mum couldn't talk her face would show any pain so rest assured if she looks peaceful she is. Have you got any nurses staying with you or have you got a Prime Care nurse number you can ring if you need anyone. They are there to support you as well during this bit of time so use them even if that is just to be with you and keep Mum peaceful. I have never seen anyone ill and my Mum passed peacefully so don't be scared. What you are doing for your Mum is so hard for you but the greatest testament to your love for her and when her time comes you will know you did everything you could right til her journey elsewhere begins. Sending massive hugs to you xxxx