Forever Chasing Rainbows

• Everlasting question marks

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Michael; loving husband, special dad, treasured step dad, crazy grandad and great grandad. Mick was a friend to many......

Wait, what?

For 19 years I've affectionately known my step dad as Mike.  But if everyone else knows him as Mick, how did me and my brother come to know him as Mike? My mum wasn't even sure.

Sunday 18th September 2016 will be a date forever etched in my memory.  We'd spent the day struggling over…

• "If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world."

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The calls are becoming more frequent. It's each day as it comes. 

For months it's been a battle of quality time vs maintaining normality. No regrets vs no worries. 

I had to believe I would know when the balance shifted. 

"The doctor says it could be weeks," mum told me. The words I'd been dreading since my step dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma in April. Call it common sense or call it blind panic, "I'm coming…

• Cliffhanger

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Next episode playing in 13, 12, 11, 10, 9..... I’ve already watched three episodes and I could certainly be using my time more constructively but I need to know what happened next. 

You’re just as likely to find Millennials bingeing on Netflix boxsets these days as you are to find them downing alcopops in town.  As our generation grows up we’ve found the recovery time from a glass of Pinot is considerably more…

• Hallmark Heartache

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Only the best dads get promoted to granddad I was informed by a novelty coaster a couple of weeks ago.

Delete.

Delete.

Delete.

Pizza Express 2 courses for £9.95. Keep.

Delete.

Delete.

It’s my fifth Fathers’ Day since I lost my dad so the email onslaught from late May telling me dad’s special and I should treat him comes as no surprise now. I swipe left to delete and barely give them a second thought…

• Wisha-wisha-wisha-wisha : Happy Birthday Papa Oak

FormerMember
    FormerMember

They could see the trees in the wood, and hear them talking their strange tree-talk: ‘Wisha-wisha-wisha-wisha!’

I have such wonderful memories of our parents reading Enid Blyton’s series of Faraway Tree books to us when we were young. I drew pictures of MoonFace and Silky to show my school teachers and dreamt of visiting the lands at the top of the tree.

In January 2012 I started again at the beginning…