It is what it is.

• Untenable situation

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Struggling to function on little sleep over the last week. I'm running on absolute empty. 4hours sleep a night average. Struggling to get dad to the bathroom and he's at serious risk of falling/tripping. My brother has had to return home and so I face tonight alone. Calls for overnight support currently unsuccessful. 

Dad's wish is to be at home. It's untenable for both of us. How the hell do I manage this…

• The secret life....

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Amazing what the company of family does to reduce levels of stress. Caring is a very lonely place, isn't it? I wouldn't have it any other way but bloody hell.....I've never been as pleased to see family.

We've entered a new phase. Less humour. Not exactly horror because it's expected but it's shit all the same. So many questions I should have asked dad. My brother said the same. So it's not exactly…

• Constipation

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Never have I been.more familiar with the bowels of strangers than on the cancer ward. The privacy curtains ain't soundproof. 

Morning sir. How are you feeling today?

Pardon?

HOW ARE YOU FEELING?

Good. Yes, fine.

Have you opened your bowels today, sir?

Pardon?

Your bowels. How are they?

?????

HAVE YOU HAD A POO???

Chat therafter about colour, consistency and regularity

Four…

• Fool

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is what it is- I say that so frequently. I guess it's a way of trying to manage watching my dad become more fragile and frail. He's both of those things but he's also stubborn and determined. I'm trying to decide if those are good qualities or if they amplify the sadness of his deterioration. Jury's out. He chooses to do things when he should ask for help, the fool! 

Today's first......seeing…