Fool

Less than one minute read time.

It is what it is- I say that so frequently. I guess it's a way of trying to manage watching my dad become more fragile and frail. He's both of those things but he's also stubborn and determined. I'm trying to decide if those are good qualities or if they amplify the sadness of his deterioration. Jury's out. He chooses to do things when he should ask for help, the fool! 

Today's first......seeing dad naked for the first time in a while. He's skin and bone and it's desperately sad to see. I always thought it would be awkward- we've never been a family to streak- but it really was ok. We're still talking and maintaining eye contact.....survived that hurdle.

Carers arrive in a while.....a shower for dad and respite for me. I feel the usual guilt but I'm also knackered. I'm eternally grateful to be able to stand back for 30 minutes and take a walk round the block. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bubblie,

First off i would like to commend you for your strength and bravery during this hard time.

Oh, how I remember the first time seeing my mum naked when she was going through treatment. It was so strange at first, bathing her and changing her dressings at the age of 14. I think I cringed initially. You just get on with it and i suppose it becomes your new 'normal'.

What I would really like to say is that those feelings of guilt are normal. You ARE allowed to have a break, that's what the amazing carers are there for! have a rest and recharge your batteries. Hell, have a cry and scream if you need to. Just remember to take a breather and you are doing amazing, you are strong.

Sending you strength.

C x