My Pain in the Arse - SCC Anal Cancer

3 minute read time.

In Feb 2018, I attended a consultation, thinking I had haemorrhoids, after a quick examination and sigmoidoscopy, I was advised that it wasn’t haemorrhoids but was a tumour. It was a massive shock, I couldn’t believe he’d just told me I had cancer!

The doctor had taken a biopsy during the sigmoidoscopy which would be sent for analysis and would help to confirm the type of cancer, he thought it was rectal but couldn’t rule out it being anal.
He advised that I would need some tests and scans in order to determine the type and stage of the cancer. 
I underwent a series of scans and tests within the following 2 weeks.
Colonoscopy- the day before was bowel prep day, this was far from pleasant but needs must!
On arrival, I met with the nurse who went through the paperwork and explained the procedure. I then changed into a gown and was taken though to the colonoscopy room, I was given a sedative through a canula in the back of my hand and was given oxygen through a nose piece. The procedure was fine, perhaps a little uncomfortable at moments but totally bareable. I found it fascinating to be watching the procedure on the screen and being told “there’s your appendix!” How many people get to see their own appendix? Following the procedure, I was moved to recovery where I was able to rest until I felt ready to get up and dressed.
Then I was taken to the sitting room for a
much needed cuppa and pack of biscuits.

CT scan- on arrival at the department, I was given a jug of water and told to drink this within the next hour. 
Then into the Scanner room. I had ensured that my clothing did not have any metal and had left all of my jewellery at home. I laid on the scanner bed, they needed to inject a dye halfway through the scan, so I was attached to a mechanical driver to the vein in my arm. 
The scan began, the bed moved and there was a whirring noise but all fine, halfway through they told me that I would now feel the dye being injected, I felt the warmth in my arm and it travelling through my body, I developed a strange taste at the back of my mouth and had a warm feeling that felt like i’d wet myself. This feeling didn’t last long and it was expected as they had advised me of the feeling before the scan began.
I admit that I felt a bit emotional afterwards as it was the realisation that this would be showing the cancer in my body.

MRI- on arrival at the department, I met the radiographer and completed the paperwork, then I changed into a gown and was taken through to the scanner. As mine was a pelvic/bowel MRI I had an injection to relax the bowel in order for the bowel to be as still as possible. 
They placed a board onto my pelvic area and strapped me snuggly with velcro straps, then the bed moved into position within the scanner. I was given headphones so I could listen to music during the scan and it helps to drown out the noise (it is very loud and sounded like I was on a building site)  I had a pump in one hand that I could squeeze if I wanted to alert the radiographers if I needed to get their attention.
The radiographer spoke to me regularly during the scan, she told me how long the next scan would be and how I was doing well and asked if I was ok. The whole process was fine, it’s just important to lie as still as possible. 
I was in there for about an hour, once it was over, I could get changed and go home to get on with my usual plans.

Just had to wait for all of the results now....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 5

Happy Good Friday everyone

Husbands Birthday today, feel bad that we’re not doing anything special for it but he insists that he’s happy just looking after me.

No radiotherapy today due to the bank holiday but I did nip into triage to have my chemo bottle removed.. yay, cycle one complete and week one done! 

Chill out afternoon now that we’re home and enjoy the next two days of no hospital trips. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy Easter everyone 

I’ve just rested the last couple of days, feeling ok in myself, but hubby insists on me resting, saying that while I rest my body repairs. I suppose he’s right but I am not used to it at all. Usually don’t stop!!

Enjoyed a lovely soak in the bath yesterday and made sure I smothered myself in cream in readiness for the radiotherapy to resume on Monday.

I'm feeling well in myself, still need the antisickness tablets, but able to eat, even managed some Easter egg today!

My mouth has begun to be a bit sore, as has the inside of my nose. Strange! Picc line is driving me mad as its so itchy!! Admit to peeling the dressing back a bit to relieve the skin and apply some cream, this dressing is meant for sensitive skin but still causing irritation. I must be extra sensitive!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 7 of radio today

Last few days have been ok,

Had Picc line redressed again with the next level of allergy prevention and touch wood, it’s not causing any discomfort to my skin.

Sore mouth turned out to be thrush, so was prescribed anti-fungal tablets and given a mouthwas, hope these kick in soon as mouth and throat are sore.

Nothing much else to report.... 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Friday-Day 9 of Radio today

Wednesday just gone, I had just finished eating my breakfast and all of a sudden felt I needed the toilet, headed upstairs but didn’t make it: bad diarrhoea, had to strip off in the shower and wash myself down! Not pleasant but just so glad I was at home!  At lunch, I very tentively ate some lunch and was prepared to run if need be but all was ok.

I saw my consultant that afternoon and told him about it, he said that its very likely to be a side effect of radiotherapy. He’s willing to give me some meds (Imodium) but is worried that he doesn’t want me to go other way as constipation would be worse. He also recommended bland foods and if in doubt try and plain biscuit or piece of toast.

The diarrhoea did continue that day but without that sudden urgency. Yesterday it continued to improve and I haven’t actually taken any of the immodium.

Apart from that little incident, everything else has been ok.

Mouth thrush Is improving, although my nose is still sore.

Picc line dressing is fine now and not irritating my skin.

I’m feeling ok generally, just tired and a bit ‘washed out’ so just resting when my body tells me too and not overdoing anything anyway. Which has been made easier by visits from my mum and sister (bringing gifts of food and cooking!) also through a very supportive husband xx

Week 2 complete after today’s treatment.

Will enjoy the weekend of no hospital visits

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is day 12 of Radio. (Wed, 11th April 2018)

I had a good weekend, felt the best I have since starting this treatment, did a few jobs around the house, had nice food and enjoyed not having the hospital trip, (did not overdo things though as didn’t want to risk wearing myself out)

My only issue was the start of a sore bottom and itchiness!! 

I decided to ditch toilet paper (even the softest feels like sandpaper) and used my plastic bidet instead. I had bought one before treatment began as everyone seemed to recommend it,

Wow, has to be the best purchase ever... very soothing to sit and rinse myself with the cool water, then pat dry and slather the cream on! 

As for the itchiness, the radiographers advised taking piriton, so been taking anti histamines but not sure whether they’re really making any difference. Key is to not scratch.... easier said than done!

To help the situation, whilst I’m in the house, I’ve been wearing loose cotton pyjama bottoms and no knickers! 

Noticed yesterday that as warned, my pubic hair is falling out at a rate of knots.... so i’ll be bikini ready soon, thanks to the NHS.

Yesterday I arrived for my radio to find that there were long delays as the machine had been breaking down all day. In order to get through everyone, some of us went through to the private clinic for treatment. In all honestly, not much difference! Slightly nicer waiting room... I am more than happy with my NHS treatment and honestly CANNOT fault any part of

Clatterbridge, everyone I’ve come into contact

with have been amazing, friendly and willing to go the extra mile!