My Pain in the Arse - SCC Anal Cancer

3 minute read time.

In Feb 2018, I attended a consultation, thinking I had haemorrhoids, after a quick examination and sigmoidoscopy, I was advised that it wasn’t haemorrhoids but was a tumour. It was a massive shock, I couldn’t believe he’d just told me I had cancer!

The doctor had taken a biopsy during the sigmoidoscopy which would be sent for analysis and would help to confirm the type of cancer, he thought it was rectal but couldn’t rule out it being anal.
He advised that I would need some tests and scans in order to determine the type and stage of the cancer. 
I underwent a series of scans and tests within the following 2 weeks.
Colonoscopy- the day before was bowel prep day, this was far from pleasant but needs must!
On arrival, I met with the nurse who went through the paperwork and explained the procedure. I then changed into a gown and was taken though to the colonoscopy room, I was given a sedative through a canula in the back of my hand and was given oxygen through a nose piece. The procedure was fine, perhaps a little uncomfortable at moments but totally bareable. I found it fascinating to be watching the procedure on the screen and being told “there’s your appendix!” How many people get to see their own appendix? Following the procedure, I was moved to recovery where I was able to rest until I felt ready to get up and dressed.
Then I was taken to the sitting room for a
much needed cuppa and pack of biscuits.

CT scan- on arrival at the department, I was given a jug of water and told to drink this within the next hour. 
Then into the Scanner room. I had ensured that my clothing did not have any metal and had left all of my jewellery at home. I laid on the scanner bed, they needed to inject a dye halfway through the scan, so I was attached to a mechanical driver to the vein in my arm. 
The scan began, the bed moved and there was a whirring noise but all fine, halfway through they told me that I would now feel the dye being injected, I felt the warmth in my arm and it travelling through my body, I developed a strange taste at the back of my mouth and had a warm feeling that felt like i’d wet myself. This feeling didn’t last long and it was expected as they had advised me of the feeling before the scan began.
I admit that I felt a bit emotional afterwards as it was the realisation that this would be showing the cancer in my body.

MRI- on arrival at the department, I met the radiographer and completed the paperwork, then I changed into a gown and was taken through to the scanner. As mine was a pelvic/bowel MRI I had an injection to relax the bowel in order for the bowel to be as still as possible. 
They placed a board onto my pelvic area and strapped me snuggly with velcro straps, then the bed moved into position within the scanner. I was given headphones so I could listen to music during the scan and it helps to drown out the noise (it is very loud and sounded like I was on a building site)  I had a pump in one hand that I could squeeze if I wanted to alert the radiographers if I needed to get their attention.
The radiographer spoke to me regularly during the scan, she told me how long the next scan would be and how I was doing well and asked if I was ok. The whole process was fine, it’s just important to lie as still as possible. 
I was in there for about an hour, once it was over, I could get changed and go home to get on with my usual plans.

Just had to wait for all of the results now....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day one of treatment done, 27 to go!

My first appointment today was for my picc line.

I lay on my back on the bed with my right arm at right angles to my body and bent at the elbow, the nurse then used an ultra sound to see the main vein and marked the position for the picc line. I had three ecg electrodes, one on either ankle and one to the left hand side of my chest. He then sprayed the area with an anaesthetic spray which felt very cold, he then gowned up, mask on, hat on etc and had prepared my arm. He then injected a local anaesthetic. I did not feel anything after that.  He measured 38cm and said that 6cm would be left outside. The placement was checked using the ecg machine. Amazing really! He dressed it and I was all done and ready for my next appointment.

Off to radiotherapy, I was asked to empty my bladder and then drink 3 cups of water. After a further short wait, I was called through. I just had to remove my trousers and shoes, I walked through to the treatment machine in my knickers but was told I could bring a sarong in future if I‘d prefer. Once all my details had been checked and I confirmed that I was not pregnant, I lay on the treatment bed, I was covered up as I lowered my underwear to just below my bottom, they then used my tattoo marks to line me up, they then left the room and the treatment began, the machine rotated around the bed for about 5 minutes, then it was all done. I was given a big tub of aquaeous cream which will hopefully help keep my skin intact for as long as possible.

Next stop chemotherapy, firstly I was given some anti-sickness drugs, then I was hooked up to a saline drip.alongside this I was given the mitomycin drug through a driver, it didn’t take long and I was just happily chatting to my family.  Once this was complete, I was attached to the ‘baby bottle ‘ of 5 FU, given a little bag to carry it in, given my follow up appointments and I could head home.

I felt fine throughout my time at the hospital, I had had a cry to my husband this morning, so coped well with the afternoon. 

Not sure how well i’ll sleep tonight, was advised to put the bottle under my pillow but I know how much I move about in my sleep and don’t want to either pull it out or strangle mysef! Haha 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 2 done

Had a terrible night sleep last night, so feel shattered today. Attended morning appointments today, picc line re-dress than my 2nd radiotherapy. Nipped into the pharmacy to buy a thermometer as mine was a forehead one that expired on 2003!!! Hahaha 

My temperature was fine, this needs to be monitored carefully to highlight he beginning of any possible infection.

On the drive in to the hospital car park, a double rainbow appeared above the cancer care unit! Made me feel quite good inside and positive.

When I got home, I made sure I smothered my nether regions with the aquaeous cream, hope to prevent skin breakage for as long as possible.

This afternoon, I feel a bit ‘out of sorts’ perhaps even a little nauseous so have taken an anti sickness tablet, feel tired and emotional, had a good cry and a cuddle from my hubby, which always makes me smile xx

Onwards and upwards...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You are so brave taking the time to document all of this despite what you are going through. I cant tell you how grateful I am, my Nan (who has been the main constant of stability and strength in my fairly turbulent life) has recently been diagnosed with low, left rectal cancer. The tumour is large but luckily hasn't spread (literally caught just in time!). She is waiting for her letter and phone call to tell her when treatment will start and even though she wont admit it I know she is worried. She's a bit of a technophobe so I'll print this off for her to read. I know it will help her to know what she is going into, she's very practically minded. Thank you so much for allowing me the ability to ease her tension even the slightest. I am going to keep her up to date with your blog. I think it will help her so much to hear about other people who are going through the same/similar thing as her. I wish you all the luck in the world.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yesterday was a tough day - Day 3 of treatment and I saw my oncologist for the last few scan results.

Woke feeling very nauseous, took the anti sickness tablets, these did help, I just had an ’off’ tummy. Was very nervous about my scan results so with bad tum and anxiety I couldn’t face eating. (probably not good) 

My arm was also sore as the dressing over my picc line had caused a bit of an allergic reaction, I’d had to peel some of sticky desssing back and put some cream on to relieve the soreness.

Anyway arrived at the hospital with my husband and met my mum and dad there for extra moral support.

Met my oncologist, who is absolutely lovely, he asked how I was etc and then moved onto the scan results, my original CT scan had shown 2 lesions on my liver, so i’d had a further MRI, one of the lesions was nothing to worry about, however sadly, the second one is cancer, he said it was the size of a small baby potato. The plan is to continue treating the primary tumour as this chemo will also work on the liver, then scan 6 weeks after the end of treatment to decide on the next plan of action. He said there are a number of treatment options available that we can focus on then, but that I need to focus on getting through my current treatment. Obviously it was a big shock to us all, I tried to stay strong but couldn’t. We were all struggling to hold it together.

Once we‘d left the appointment, I had a cry and a cuddle outside in the corridor, Simon the nurse who had fitted my picc line saw me upset and came over, he was lovely and so kind to stop to speak to me. He advised me to stay positive, take each day at a time. 

Then it was time for radiotherapy, sat waiting and my emotions bubbled through again, within seconds, I had 3 radiographers at my side, checking on me, asking if there was anything they could do to help? They offered me the use of a side room for privacy but I managed to pull myself together.

Had my treatment, then home for a rest. What an emotional day.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 4-

Managed some soup last night and some porridge this morning, only manageable with the anti sickness tablets. Feel ‘off’ I’m drinking water as cups of tea just don’t taste right. 

I did get my picc line dressing changed yesterday and this new one isn’t irritating my skin so that’s a positive.

Just resting today, radiotherapy is not til 5.45 today, my husband has been great, doing all the household jobs, although its quite difficult to be sat doing nothing, I’m normally so busy running the house, looking after the family and doing a full time job. Thing is whenever I do try doing anything, it sends me sick so will just sit quiet and rest.