My Pain in the Arse - SCC Anal Cancer

3 minute read time.

In Feb 2018, I attended a consultation, thinking I had haemorrhoids, after a quick examination and sigmoidoscopy, I was advised that it wasn’t haemorrhoids but was a tumour. It was a massive shock, I couldn’t believe he’d just told me I had cancer!

The doctor had taken a biopsy during the sigmoidoscopy which would be sent for analysis and would help to confirm the type of cancer, he thought it was rectal but couldn’t rule out it being anal.
He advised that I would need some tests and scans in order to determine the type and stage of the cancer. 
I underwent a series of scans and tests within the following 2 weeks.
Colonoscopy- the day before was bowel prep day, this was far from pleasant but needs must!
On arrival, I met with the nurse who went through the paperwork and explained the procedure. I then changed into a gown and was taken though to the colonoscopy room, I was given a sedative through a canula in the back of my hand and was given oxygen through a nose piece. The procedure was fine, perhaps a little uncomfortable at moments but totally bareable. I found it fascinating to be watching the procedure on the screen and being told “there’s your appendix!” How many people get to see their own appendix? Following the procedure, I was moved to recovery where I was able to rest until I felt ready to get up and dressed.
Then I was taken to the sitting room for a
much needed cuppa and pack of biscuits.

CT scan- on arrival at the department, I was given a jug of water and told to drink this within the next hour. 
Then into the Scanner room. I had ensured that my clothing did not have any metal and had left all of my jewellery at home. I laid on the scanner bed, they needed to inject a dye halfway through the scan, so I was attached to a mechanical driver to the vein in my arm. 
The scan began, the bed moved and there was a whirring noise but all fine, halfway through they told me that I would now feel the dye being injected, I felt the warmth in my arm and it travelling through my body, I developed a strange taste at the back of my mouth and had a warm feeling that felt like i’d wet myself. This feeling didn’t last long and it was expected as they had advised me of the feeling before the scan began.
I admit that I felt a bit emotional afterwards as it was the realisation that this would be showing the cancer in my body.

MRI- on arrival at the department, I met the radiographer and completed the paperwork, then I changed into a gown and was taken through to the scanner. As mine was a pelvic/bowel MRI I had an injection to relax the bowel in order for the bowel to be as still as possible. 
They placed a board onto my pelvic area and strapped me snuggly with velcro straps, then the bed moved into position within the scanner. I was given headphones so I could listen to music during the scan and it helps to drown out the noise (it is very loud and sounded like I was on a building site)  I had a pump in one hand that I could squeeze if I wanted to alert the radiographers if I needed to get their attention.
The radiographer spoke to me regularly during the scan, she told me how long the next scan would be and how I was doing well and asked if I was ok. The whole process was fine, it’s just important to lie as still as possible. 
I was in there for about an hour, once it was over, I could get changed and go home to get on with my usual plans.

Just had to wait for all of the results now....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Results day (2nd March 2018)

Well, initially I was told it was low rectal cancer so I read, researched, googled (rightly or wrongly) and felt completely confident and prepared for the biopsy and scan results. So was shocked to hear that the biopsy showed it was SCC Anal Cancer!

Was told that it was an advanced cancer, with lymph node involvement and evidence of lesions of the liver.

So advised that I would need chemotherapy and radiotherapy, but would need a further MRI of my liver to check there was no spread, apparently it’s unusual for spread of this cancer so unlikely to be anything to worry about.

My notes would now be sent to the oncologist and I would receive an appointment to meet him.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Meeting my oncologist

Scary day, turning up to cancer care centre makes it all more real, seeing different people and their famiiies all on similar journeys. I brought plenty of support with me, my husband and my mum and dad.

First off, height and weight. (Seem to do this at every appointment)

Then into the consultation room where I met my consultant and a nurse. He talked us through the results (not had my liver MRI yet-but again he wasn’t overly concerned that the lesions would be cancer)

He talked me through the treatment and possible side effects and I had to sign the consent form for the treatment.

The nurse went to get all the relevant information booklets for me and put them together in a little take home pack.

The oncologist told me (after me asking) that it was a T4 tumour as it has spread to the next structure (the rectum) he didn’t detail the lymph node situation and obviously until the MRI has been done he couldn’t rule out spread. He did want me to attend a PET scan which would show him a much clearer picture of the tumour.

He did a quick digital exam and then he said we’d be looking to start treatment within the next 3 weeks.

Before I left, I was introduced to my key worker, she talked me through the information booklet and gave me her number as she would be my point of contact for any questions, worries or concerns.

Then I went upstairs for bloods, whilst in the waiting room, there were a couple of women chatting loudly across the waiting room (found out later that this was the chemotherapy waiting room too) the conversation was a bit graphic for someone newly diagnosed and so we took ourselves out to wait in the corridor.

Anyway after a short wait, I had the blood tests and we all went to the cafe for hot drinks and tea cakes.

Phew, another step closer to treatment!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

MRI of liver 16/3/18

Same procedure as before but this time I needed a dye to be injected halfway through the scan and they did have trouble with my veins, so I ended up having the canula in a vein in my wrist, it was slightly more uncomfortable than usual but ok. Again a board was placed over the area to be scanned and I was strapped in, again headphones and music to help against the loud noise of the scanner. This time I had a few scans where I needed to hold my breath, but the radiographer talked me through the breathing and it was ok. It did feel like a long time but it probably wasn’t and I managed to hold my breath for all but one of the scans, it was fine they just re-did that one again at the end.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

PET scan and CT radiotherapy planning appointment 20/3/18

My appointment was at 12.30 and I had not been able to eat or drink anything(other than water) since 6am.

PET scan - met with the radiographer and the first stop was height and weight (again!)

Then complete the paperwork.

She inserted a cannula into my arm and flushed it through, then she took a small sample of blood that was used to check my blood sugar levels, all fine.

Next the injection of a radiotracer, the radiographer had to go and get this, it came in a closed metal box, when she opened the box the syringe was metal too, it looked like something off a James Bond film. Previously she had put two green rings on fingers of either hand and then her rubber gloves, she explained later that this was to check her own levels of radiation.

Injection in and flushed through, then I needed to sit quietly for an hour, the room had piped radio music, so I just sat calmly and enjoyed the relaxation. Just before the hour was up, I was asked to go to the toilet to empty my bladder and to change into a gown, again I’d let all my jewellery at home.

Then it was into the scanner room, they advised that the position I would be in would be the same for radiotherapy, one of the radiographers from radiotherapy popped in and lined me up on the scanner bed, when I was in the correct position, she marked a felt tip cross on the outside of each thigh and just at the top of my bikini line, then the PET scan radiographer took over again and began the scan, there is very little noise from a CT scanner so no headphones, so it’s just lying as still as possible. My scan took approximately 45 minutes. Once complete, I was given a choice of hot drinks and a packet of biscuits, then I could get dressed and head back to the planning department.

Back at the planning department, I was sat away from other waiting patients due to still being ‘radioactive’

A different radiographer now came into explain the next procedure and scan. I was to have a CT scan, purely for treatment planning. She brought with her a flask of liquid, it was an oral contrast of a substance called Gastrografin, it had a

smell of pernod (which I hate) and I had to drink 600mls quickly, yes I gagged, but I just drank it as quickly as I could. Then I had to wait 40 minutes, then I was told to empty my bladder (I had to go and use the toilet in the PET scanner dept - again due to the radiation) then drink 2 cups of water, then inform the staff on reception that I was now ready for my scan.

I’d been told that after the second cup of water I would be required to wait 20 minutes before the scan.

I was called in, firstly I had my photo taken for my records - smile for the camera!

Then I just had to remove my trousers and lie on the scanner bed, the radiographers lined me up using the beam and my felt tip crosses, the scan was quick this time, before I left the radiographer made tiny tattoo dots at the cross section of each of the crosses. This was done by placing a tiny drop of ink on the skin and then making a pin prick to the skin.

Finally it was time to go home, it had been a long day, approximately 5 hours at the hospital, I’d asked when treatment was likely to start and was told, probably end of next week or beginning of the week after.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday 22/3/18

Been 2 days since my planning appointment, and have resigned myself to having another week to wait, oh well, my husband has a week of holiday booked and the children will have broken up for Easter so what shall we plan?

Post arrives.... open a letter that I can tell is from the cancer unit, treatment is beginning on Monday!! I have a pre assessment tomorrow morning!! I have wanted this treatment to begin and now that the letter is here I completely break down! I sat and cry, I message my husband, Mum and sister. My husband calls me and I sob on the phone, I call my mum and sob, I think that it has finally hit home that I have cancer and I am about to embark on this gruelling journey!

After a good cry and some reassuring words from loved ones I calm down.

This is what I want- to get started on fighting this pain in the bum!