My Pain in the Arse - SCC Anal Cancer

3 minute read time.

In Feb 2018, I attended a consultation, thinking I had haemorrhoids, after a quick examination and sigmoidoscopy, I was advised that it wasn’t haemorrhoids but was a tumour. It was a massive shock, I couldn’t believe he’d just told me I had cancer!

The doctor had taken a biopsy during the sigmoidoscopy which would be sent for analysis and would help to confirm the type of cancer, he thought it was rectal but couldn’t rule out it being anal.
He advised that I would need some tests and scans in order to determine the type and stage of the cancer. 
I underwent a series of scans and tests within the following 2 weeks.
Colonoscopy- the day before was bowel prep day, this was far from pleasant but needs must!
On arrival, I met with the nurse who went through the paperwork and explained the procedure. I then changed into a gown and was taken though to the colonoscopy room, I was given a sedative through a canula in the back of my hand and was given oxygen through a nose piece. The procedure was fine, perhaps a little uncomfortable at moments but totally bareable. I found it fascinating to be watching the procedure on the screen and being told “there’s your appendix!” How many people get to see their own appendix? Following the procedure, I was moved to recovery where I was able to rest until I felt ready to get up and dressed.
Then I was taken to the sitting room for a
much needed cuppa and pack of biscuits.

CT scan- on arrival at the department, I was given a jug of water and told to drink this within the next hour. 
Then into the Scanner room. I had ensured that my clothing did not have any metal and had left all of my jewellery at home. I laid on the scanner bed, they needed to inject a dye halfway through the scan, so I was attached to a mechanical driver to the vein in my arm. 
The scan began, the bed moved and there was a whirring noise but all fine, halfway through they told me that I would now feel the dye being injected, I felt the warmth in my arm and it travelling through my body, I developed a strange taste at the back of my mouth and had a warm feeling that felt like i’d wet myself. This feeling didn’t last long and it was expected as they had advised me of the feeling before the scan began.
I admit that I felt a bit emotional afterwards as it was the realisation that this would be showing the cancer in my body.

MRI- on arrival at the department, I met the radiographer and completed the paperwork, then I changed into a gown and was taken through to the scanner. As mine was a pelvic/bowel MRI I had an injection to relax the bowel in order for the bowel to be as still as possible. 
They placed a board onto my pelvic area and strapped me snuggly with velcro straps, then the bed moved into position within the scanner. I was given headphones so I could listen to music during the scan and it helps to drown out the noise (it is very loud and sounded like I was on a building site)  I had a pump in one hand that I could squeeze if I wanted to alert the radiographers if I needed to get their attention.
The radiographer spoke to me regularly during the scan, she told me how long the next scan would be and how I was doing well and asked if I was ok. The whole process was fine, it’s just important to lie as still as possible. 
I was in there for about an hour, once it was over, I could get changed and go home to get on with my usual plans.

Just had to wait for all of the results now....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Friday 23/3/18

Pre-Assessment appointment

Early start, asked my sister to meet me there for some moral support.

The appointment was fine, had a quick tour of the chemotherapy ward, had my

height and weight measured (again!)

Blood pressure, pulse, temperature, some questions about my general health, then information about the chemotherapy treatment and the possible side effects.

All done and ready for Monday!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What is my treatment?

My treatment will be 28 days of radiotherapy (Monday to Friday) and chemotherapy, on day one I will have mitomycin on the ward and then 5-FU via a picc line for 96 hours in week one and again in week 5.

Last day of treatment is 3/5/18.

But am aware that treatment is beginning before I know all of my results. Seeing the oncologist on Wednesday 28/3/18 for these results.

• Soon be over stay positive!! Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I wish you well,and I am sending you warm hugs...do take care of you...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Feelings and emotions

Throughout this experience I have had a mix of emotions, shock and panic at being told i had cancer.

There are times when I have felt really negative and then pulled myself together and felt positive (best way to be really)

I’ve had to be strong for family and my children, but then felt weak during times when I was alone.

When I was told it was anal cancer, I was shocked but then embarrassed and upset when I stupidly googled and read about it’s likely causes! Then I was angry, why should my illness come with stigma? 

Then there have been the feelings of lack of control, just waiting for appointments and willing the start date for treatment to be agreed.

Well the day is finally here, I have had an awful nights sleep, I am feeling a mix of emotions, anticipation as I will have a picc line put in today, then radiotherapy then chemotherapy, a lot of firsts for one day!

Luckily I have a very supportive husband and family.

I am also feeling excited that, at last, I am staring the process to get rid of this cancer.