Stomach Cancer - My journey

• 070618 - At last some Good News

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today was the day I was looking forward to and dreading in equal measure - Results Day.

I had already received a copy of my blood analysis in the post and a couple of results were out with the norms but since I'm not a medical person.....

The doctor told me to turn the page over and look at the tumour markers. It showed 1.8 (should be <5). I said that last time it was 1.6 so did that mean it was going up. He reassured…

• 040618 - First Quarterly Check-up

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is now three months since treatment finished. Today I have my first quarterly check with a CT scan, abdominal ultrasound and blood tests. I've been awake since 5.30am. Apprehensive, moi?

• 040418 - First post-treatment Check-up

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Chemo finished on 7th March. After almost 6 months of planned treatment, I've been feeling a bit like I'm in limbo. Had an abdominal ultrasound this morning. The oncologist seemed a bit concerned that the lower part of my liver was a bit rough rather than being smoother like the top part. He said it could have been the machine and he couldn't see any metastases but wants to follow-up in two months rather than three. He…

• 060318 - Post-op chemo Final Round

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well that's chemo finished, hopefully. Nothing special to report other than the usual fatigue. 

I was expecting to have a CT scan in three weeks time so was disappointed to be told by my oncologist that I will only have an ultrasound on my abdomen on 4th April and will have to wait until June for the CT scan. When I asked why he said that it was due to the risks from radiation!

I think that the worst part of…

• 220218 - Round 3 of post-op chemo

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've just completed the third of four post-op chemo sessions and feeling not too bad.

After my last session I was still suffering slightly with neuropathy in my fingers. The oncologist decided that he would would remove the Oxaliplatin and only give me the other three drugs (Docetaxel, Leucovarin and 5-FU).  I am a bit concerned that by removing that drug it makes the treatment less effective. I couldn't really…