Stomach Cancer - My journey

• 080118 - One month post-op Pathology Report

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is exactly one month since I lost 80% of my stomach. I've had little blips along the way with eating but usually because I over indulged!

Had my post-op follow up appointment with the surgeon today and he says that I am healing well. He asked about exercise and I told him that I tried to walk a little each day.  He suggested cycling, although it's not the weather for it. I never thought that stomach removal would…

• CHEMO 4 - 071117

FormerMember
    FormerMember

After a two week holiday in Scotland I embarked on my fourth chemo session or "cocktail" as a fellow patient prefers to call it. Passed without incident other than the inevitable tiredness and the neuropathy. This is the last pre-op chemo.  On being discharged from hospital my oncologist gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek and said he was crossing his fingers for me.

Met with the surgeon on Monday. I'll have…

• Chemo 2 - Second attempt 250917

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Back in hospital as an outpatient. 9am blood tests taken.  Good news the nurse says we can go ahead. A few minutes later the oncologist comes in to say that my liver levels are a bit high so he's only giving me a half dose of the first drug. The next two drugs go through and everything seems to be fine. I've even eaten the lovely packed lunch that my friend Miranda has made for me. The nurse hooks up the 4th drug which…

• 030918 - Check up 2

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Almost 9 months post surgery.  Where has the time gone?

Just completed my second follow-up with the oncologist. He did an ultrasound on my abdomen and all appears to be fine. He did say that he wanted me to have a PET scan in October.  Naturally the fear kicks in, so I asked if that was a normal part of the process. He explained that the ultrasound only covers the abdomen.  The CT scan I had in June covers from the thorax…

• 060318 - Post-op chemo Final Round

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well that's chemo finished, hopefully. Nothing special to report other than the usual fatigue. 

I was expecting to have a CT scan in three weeks time so was disappointed to be told by my oncologist that I will only have an ultrasound on my abdomen on 4th April and will have to wait until June for the CT scan. When I asked why he said that it was due to the risks from radiation!

I think that the worst part of…