My eyelid skin cancer journey.

• Wound hygiene

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have instructions to clean my eye every morning and to put antibiotic ointment on my eyelid where the surgical wound is twice a day.

Because I've had an antibiotic resistant Superbug which can stay in the environment for a long time, I am trying to be really careful about hygiene when carrying out these tasks including hand hygiene. I am so pleased that the last test for the Superbug was clear of the infection. The…

• 1st op. since diagnosis

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This operation turned out to be very similar to the excision biopsy only as the original biopsy area had filled in, it involved taking that tissue again and making a larger clear margin. As I had had such a detailed discussion about risks beforehand in my consultation all I had to do was sign a pretty much blank consent form and so no risks had to be mentioned again. I did ask some questions. In the very unlikely event…

• Preparations before operation.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

it's the day before my first op. (of two, excluding the excision biopsy of the lesion). As I understand it I'll be grounded for a month after op. with no exertion greater than cleaning my house, no bending down - eyelids are well supplied with blood and it's important not to retrigger bleeding and no getting my eye wet i.e. no going out in rain and protecting my eyelid from sun. Perhaps I'll be able to take exercise…

• Private appointment with my NHS Consultant prior to surgery.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This was so helpful and I got a whole 3/4 hour with my Consultant.

He looked at my eye through the special apparatus. What do they call that thin tall thing they look through with a light? Said he couldn't see any signs of anything concerning after the biopsy. The missing eyelashes mark the spot. He wrote quite a lot of notes.

Reassured me that the operation won't increase my eye pressure, which I noted the…

• Dealing with my emotions.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My emotions

When I had the prospect of my full excision biopsy, the results and then the diagnosis hanging over my head, I was feeling emotionally fragile. The whole process from when I went to the optician has been going on for about three months. After the diagnosis I felt a knot in my stomach for two days. I would wake up and think, "Oh oh, I've got cancer". I felt that I wasn't relating to people as 'normal'…