1st op. since diagnosis

4 minute read time.

This operation turned out to be very similar to the excision biopsy only as the original biopsy area had filled in, it involved taking that tissue again and making a larger clear margin. As I had had such a detailed discussion about risks beforehand in my consultation all I had to do was sign a pretty much blank consent form and so no risks had to be mentioned again. I did ask some questions. In the very unlikely event of a bleed into eye, I can go to my local acute hospital - just to get myself to a hospital as fast as I can. They'd just need to do a little incision in the outer corner of my eye/eyelid? I can go for gentle walks. Luckily the scab on my cheek has now healed over so my consultant decided not to biopsy thatI reminded the consultant that he'd offered to make a smaller than usual padding so I can wear my glasses and I am very glad I did. Also that I was going to have a shield to protect my eye at night.

This time many more eye drops were put into my eye just before the operation. They felt refreshing and one of them made my eye and surround feel numb quite fast. I asked if I could have the local anaesthetic injected through the inside of my eyelid as this hardly hurt last time. This time it was even better - hardly felt it. Perhaps because numbing eye drops had already numbed inside of eyelid? The consultant said it helped that I was so relaxed. Some trouble was taken to mark the different sides of the excision and also a stitch was initially put in on my eyelid to mark where the tissue was taken from. The consultant was aiming at 3 mm clear margins. The surface of the skin where the tissue was going to be removed was inked like before. Some cauterisation was done at the end to close off a couple of small blood vessels.

I was back on the ward within about 20 minutes despite having been advised by admissions that the operation would take about an hour (but perhaps that had included waiting time beforehand?). The actual operation can't have lasted more than 15 minutes at most.

After a nice cup of tea and being given after care information and antibiotic ointment like before I was free to go, once my kind relative arrived.

The whole thing from arrival on the day ward to departure took about 2 1/2 hours and was really not as bad as some of my past visits to the dentist. I think it really helps that as this was my third op. I knew what to expect. I was interested to see that on the 'discharge' form that I was given it again lists the operation as an excision biopsy. I was asked at the beginning of the operation how relaxed I was feeling and offered 'something' but as I felt relaxed and didn't want to have to  be with a relative for 24 hours after being given a sedative, I declined.

When I left the day ward, I went and had some lunch in the hospital café with my relative. I did feel some twinges on the journey home, which is over an hour, as the local anaesthetic wore off and was glad to have taken paracetamol and a bottle of water with me. Having taken two paracetamol, I then mainly dozed and have continued to do so. I went to sleep at around midnight last night and woke at 5 am, so I've got plenty of sleep to catch up on. I know that after the previous biopsies I felt very tired and slept a lot.

I'm to take my eye patch off after 24 hours. I know that my eye surround will look pretty horrendous but was glad to confirm with my consultant that as long as the lab results are clear so he doesn't have to take any more tissue, I should have no lasting marks that my eyelid has ever been operated on at all :). The one thing I have lost is some more eyelashes and I reckon these won't grow back as the ones I previously lost haven't. But I think that lashes on ones lower eyelid near the nose are barely noticeable anyway, especially as I wear glasses.

I'm now going out to supper at a relative's house :).

The key moment is going to be when I arrive for my next surgery appointment on 7th to hear the lab results. If the margin is clear then I may be able to go home with no further treatment depending on how the surgical wound is healing/ or have eyelid reconstruction. I think that just consists of stitches. If the margins aren't clear and the inner fibrous part of my eyelid needs to be operated on, this is when I will wish I'd managed to get MOHS organised privately because this is when I'll risk being disfigured for life, I reckon. Finger's crossed. I'm rather glad I won't hear the lab results until the appointment for surgery on 7th as if I do have to have further tissue removed, I won't have time to worry about it before the operation.

In the meantime, as soon as I take my eyepatch off I am going to be wearing my prescription sunglasses to hide the appearance of my eyelid.

Fraz

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Fraz, 

I'm not sure how helpful this will be to you, as I haven't had time to read all your posts, but my mum had a melanoma in situ on her lower eyelid, had successful MOHS surgery on it at St Thomas's and then a successful reconstruction at Moorfields, which was done by skin graft from her upper eyelid. I'm hoping that won't be necessary for you but if it is I just wanted to let you know she had good results and has not been disfigured. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks very much AngelicaJ. It's really good to know that your Mum doesn't look disfigured even after a skin graft. MOHS surgery minimises the amount of tissue that has to be removed which is why I was interested in it. That and that it is a very reliable technique. If you don't mind my asking, was your Mum's surgery organised by the NHS/ health insurance or self-funding? The reason I'm asking is because it was the thought of co-ordinating the MOHS surgery at one hospital and the reconstruction at another and the concern re time delay that stopped me going down that route. I would have been a self-funder for MOHS surgery and so I thought that the co-ordination might be difficult. It's really good to hear about the MOHS at Thomas's and the reconstruction at Moorefields in case I ever need to look again at having this technique.

Lucky for me, when I took the eye patch off today, I was amazed at how miniscule the last operation was. Of course I don't know what the outcome from the lab will be next week or what the (hopefully) final operation will be like. But so far I feel rather embarrassed that I was so concerned about the results of an operation that turned out to be so miniscule! Although I do hope it stays that way . The amount of tissue that's been removed to hopefully make 3mm safe margins barely looks bigger than the size I thought my lesion was. But then what with the keratin horn and the inflammation in the lesion, it may hopefully have looked a lot bigger than it turned out to be. I hope this will be the same in your husband's case.

Best wishes,

Fraz