Random topics that inspired me to write . . .

• Religion and Me - a few thoughts . . .

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was born into a Protestant C of E family, but my Mum was the only one who professed to a Christian belief, and churches were for Christenings, Weddings and Funerals . . .
    I remember, at the age of 12, reducing my poor old Mum to tears, as I exclaimed a strong degree of disbelief, based on the genocides, hypocrisy and barbaric 'track records' of allegedly 'Christian' peoples, throughout the history of it.…

• October 2007. Post Op' - Pre Treatment.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well folks, the last few days have been a bit of a challenge. I won't go into details - it would make a hyena sick.

In an earlier blog I drew the comparison between childbirth and my current situation, on the basis of pain.
    Is there anyone out there that's been in labour for five days ? No ? Then I can hold my head up with all you wonderful mothers !

Yesterday morning Gill came into our living room to find me curled…

• Op Tonsil - 5 hours to go !

FormerMember
    FormerMember

THIS WAS WRITTEN IN OCTOBER, 2007, AS A SAGA ZONE BLOG ENTRY.

Everything's packed, including pyjamas - there's no way I'm getting caught like that again !
    A quick Zone visit to get Gill up to speed, then we're off to see the Wizard . . .

We're met on the ward by Gary, who shows me my bedspace and commiserates with the 'nil by mouth' situation, as he sets off to provide everyone else with breakfast.…

• Hours to go . . . Op Tonsil, tomorrow !

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I wrote this in October, 2007, the day before my surgery.

This is turning into a bit of an emotional roller-coaster !

Over the years I, like many others, have experienced both euphoria and black despair.
    The chest-swelling pride of fatherhood; a feeling that I still can't adequately describe.
    The loss, at 22, of my god-daughter Jo. Trying to reconcile that with …

• Op Tonsil, minus 1 day [not that I'm counting . . .]

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The last time I was in hospital was 1974; the military wing of Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast. Nothing 'sexy', just an impacted wisdom tooth.

I was met by the ward Sister - legend has it she ate RSMs for breakfast - who promptly indicated which bed was to be mine. This was followed by a short 'dos and don'ts' briefing, delivered in a staccato voice, reminiscent of a Browning 'five-o'. She would surely stretch…