Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• The Mother of all Surgeries

My plan for this week’s blog was to continue with a surgery theme using the story of a lady who had what was described as the“Mother of all Surgeries” after being late diagnosed with a very rare and advanced appendiceal cancer.  I had a draft in outline before Christmas ready to update and publish early Jan.  However, I’ve been carefully watching the story unfold about the death of respected ESPN anchor Stuart…

• End of year but not end of mission!

Ronny  & Chris Allan

Hope you all had a nice festive break?  Chris and I had 3 separate dinners making sure we made the most of our extended family base.  We decided to join in the Christmas jumper fashion statement which seems to be vogue this year – thus the picture!  At least we got to wear them 3 times!

Now that busy period is over, I’ve had the chance to reflect on the last 8 months of blogging and look forward to my plans for…

• Surgery - the gift that keeps on giving

surgery

As we approach another festive period, my thoughts return to this time 4 years ago.  I had been diagnosed with metastatic neuroendocrine Cancer a few months before and that it was incurable. However, with 'debulking' surgery my prognosis could be significantly improved.  In fact, Neuroendocrine cancers are one of a small number of tumours for which surgical debulking confers some survival advantage.  Another term…

• Carcinoid and Chocolate

fotolia_5369986_XS
    I’ve always had a ‘sweet tooth’ and the softer the sweet the better – toffee, marshmallows, chocolate, jelly babies, jelly beans, fruit pastilles, fudge and macaroon are all on my list of favourites.   In terms of desserts, I love those too – ice cream, cheese cake, meringue, cake, sponge with custard, the list is endless. And of course a hot drink isn’t complete without a biscuit (or three…

• The Basic Science of Carcinoid Tumours

I've been interested in science since my school days and seem to remember it was separated into Biology, Physics and Chemistry for study and examination purposes. Biology wasn't on my radar and as I found Chemistry boring, I focussed on Physics which seemed to be much more 'modern' and exciting.   Curiously, at the beginning of my Open University degree course some 25 years later, I found the Biology and Chemistry modules…