My mum has extensive sclc

• Thursday September 30th - We've had a lovely morning!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The phone rang at 9.30am this morning and it was mum.  When I answered she asked me was I on my way.  I told her it was only 9.30am and I would come in at around 11am.  I asked had someone helped her to phone me and she said 'no I did it myself I'm getting very clever!'

I arrived at the ward at 11am and mums face lit up when she saw me, big difference from yesterday.  We watched This Morning together and then…

• Wednesday September 29th - Shell shocked!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everyone.  I finally went to sleep around 1am but was up and doing a washing at 4am.  I've now hoovered the whole house and have just sat down with a coffee and the thought that I need to find out about funerals.  Although we live down here and have a lot of very good friends all our family and many of mums friends are up in Paisley.  I feel the funeral should be up there but not sure how feesible that is or how…

• Tuesday September 28th - Devastating news I was expecting but praying I wouldn't hear!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tonight I received the news I had been expecting but dreading.  Dr Mehta won't be giving mum any more treatment as she is too weak and it would only make her feel more ill.  It just wouldn't be fair to her for the little extra time she may gain. He told mum she had liver mets and she asked what she could do about that.  He told her he wasn't going to give her any more treatment and that they needed to get her sodium…

• Monday September 27th - spread to liver!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had prepared myself for the scan results showing the cancer was back so when I met up with Christine it didn't come as shock when she told me it was in mums liver.  Nothing in her brain and her chest is still looking good.  She asked me if I'd prefer mum not to know unless she asked and I thought about it before asking if Dr Mehta was likely to offer treatment.  Christine told me second line chemo could be a possibility…

• Sunday September 26th - Mixed feelings!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I arrived at the ward at 2.30pm today.  Mum was in bed.  She was lying flat on her back and didn't look comfortable at all.  I asked how she was and she said she couldn't move, which of course she couldn't.  Mum is unable to turn over, even onto her side.  I sat her up and got her comfortable with the help of my uncle.  I asked her why she hadn't buzzed for a nurse and she said they had put the buzzer out of reach…