My mum has extensive sclc

• Monday October 11th - Are we nearing the end?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

DON'T FEEL YOU NEED TO READ THIS AS IT HAS TURNED INTO A VERY LONG RANT AND IS MORE ABOUT ME GETTING OUT HOW I AM FEELING SO THAT I CAN TRY AND MAKE SENSE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING.

We had a slightly better night last night as mum settled more quickly after each visit to the loo, 6 in total.  She has been very tired all day but is so anxious and agitated that she can't stay in the same place for more than 10 minutes.…

• Sunday October 10th - I've really struggled today!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum was very unsettled last night.  Having slept from 8pm she woke at midnight for the loo and then could not settle.  I got her up at 1am and made her some tea whilst she watched CSI.  At 2am having given her another 2.5ml of oramorph I put her back to bed but she was up again at 5am for the loo and although I returned her to bed she kept saying she needed the loo.  After I had got her up and put her down half a dozen times…

• Saturday October 9th - A less hectic day!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I will make this quick as mum has been in bed since 8 and, having given her her meds at 9.45 she is now sound asleep again and I want to get my head down while I can.

The carers came today and got mum up, dressed and fed this morning and this evening they just got her washed and into her nightie ready for bed.  I explained that they were really here to give me an hours break in the morning and evening as mum needs 24…

• Friday October 8th - Risk assessment, health and safety and the moving and handling coordinator!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Although we had an accident, due the movicol kicking in at 2.45 this morning, I had a pretty good nights sleep.  Each time I got up to put mum on the commode I did it efficiently and she was sound asleep again within 10 minutes and I was sleeping again shortly after.  I was up at 4.45, 5.45, 6.45 and then we got up at 8.  At around 10.30am I got mum wrapped up and we went for a walk.  It was a beautiful day and the sun was…

• Thursday October 7th - Can I cope?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I really thought things would be that much better when mum came home but, sadly, I was wrong.  I thought I was strong and that I would cope much better with her here but now I'm asking 'Can I cope?'  I suppose part of the problem is that at the moment there is no care package in place and although I'm doing my best, lack of sleep and a well of emotions are rendering me useless in this crisis.  At 1am this…