Mental illness is making me crazy!

• Stay positive

When I was first diagnosed, I remember someone saying to me 'STAY POSITIVE' my immediate response was 'it was testing positive to cancer that got me into this state so I would rather stay negative thank you very much' I felt immensely angry.

At that time I was in an emotionally raw state & extremely irritable so could not see that that person was just trying to say the best thing they could; on reflection…

• The distressed wreck on the floor

It's hard to describe what ran through my head the day of diagnosis but it was a mixture of shock, anxiety, disbelief, anger, fear, helplessness, loneliness, devastation & dread.

The distressed wreck on the floor was me & I didn't know how to begin to cope.

Overwhelmed is an understatement & I remember thinking how unfair life felt, you see I've never been fortunate enough to have had good health & have…

• Professionally speaking

After finding a breast lump & finally getting an appointment with a GP, the doctor, after examination, informed me that in her professional opinion it felt like a normal cyst and she was sure I had nothing to worry about but that she would refer me to a breast clinic anyway.

Within 2 weeks I had my appointment at the breast clinic, so first stop was a chat & examination by consultant No.1 during his examination, he…

• The lump that ruined my day

It was a pleasant day, I remember it, I was grateful of it & it lifted my spirits somewhat because most days for me can be emotionally tiresome & draining, so, whenever I have a good day it gives me a little boost of confidence & a spark of hope that its possible,  in the future, that I will have other good days. My good days are not extravagant, they are simply days where I feel well enough to face the day…

• Chasing wellness

A cancer diagnosis can have a devastating & debilitating effect on your mental health, plunging you into a darkness that only you can see.

I'm not crazy but I've spent a lifetime, since childhood, struggling with extreme depression, anxiety & panic attacks which believe me, at times, makes you feel crazy. Its extremely difficult for someone who has never experienced mental illness to truly understand it & it is equally…