Results day, sort of?

1 minute read time.

I saw some fit firemen in the firestation gym, which momentarily distracted me from the training course... then I dashed off to get the hospital for my Boob Tube Flush and the results.

The consultant told me that the PET scan showed the lumps had disappeared apart from the one on the right hand side, so the chemo is working but I need more treatments ... so I will have 3b next week and then likely to need 4a and b too - at their team meeting on Friday they will discuss radiotherapy. But then she threw in this little gem - one option, rather than current chemo and radiotherapy, would be to go in as an in-patient for 5 days for intense chemo... she said it's not known yet, until discussed, if this would give a better long term prognosis than sticking with original plan, plus the side effects and any risk of infections would be more severe.

That stopped me in my tracks I have to admit.

I said that I didn't want to do the 5 day thing unless it was a matter of life or death. She said it wouldn't be. I also said that what would I do with my kids whilst I was in hospital? I said my mother would offer, but that she was 67 with a bad hip, one lung and uses a nebuliser, my stepdad is 72, and my 6 year old wouldn't sleep.... the consultant said my views for treatment were as valid as anything else and she would tell the team on Friday what I had told her. She said I would be less likely to die from the side effects of plan A than plan B?!

So I'm feeling a bit weird. The chemo is working, but I'll need 8 not 6 chemo's and the consultant  thinks dropping a 5 day stay into the conversation is fine - why that suggestion? Is the lump a serious lump, too stubborn? Or does she think an intense blast would be better??

So I should be really pleased but I feel a bit confused and there's nothing more she can tell me until next Wednesday.

So, I dunno ... hoorah for lots of lumps having gone, and , erm, um, oh, for the rest! 

Here's to kicking it's arse even harder and shifting any remaining naughty lumps ASAP! :)

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Wait and see what they say on Wednesday and choose the best option for you.  If the 5 day stay is the best option then I'm sure your Mam and Step Dad will cope as best they can.  You and your health are what is important right now and you have to do what is best for you.

Really glad the the nasty lumps have disappeared and as for the remainder tell 'em the chemo monster is coming to get them so they had better do a runner too!

Much love,

Chrissie xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Did my description sound that bad?? :)

No Hilary, you read that right........

Well guys n gals, I think I panicked a bit about the 5 day intensive stay-in-hospital comment. And I'm not convinced about it today either. The consultant said it was a case of weighing up whether it would really offer me any big difference in benefits, so she wasn't giving me an ultimatum! If someone showed me evidence that it would definitely shift lump faster and give long term benefits and not increase risks of secondary cancers more than my current treatment, then I may consider it, but so far it doesn't sound great - stay in hospital for 5 days, feeling like death, risking bigger more dangerous infections and side effects...... hmmm! ;)

Also, I think the realisation hit me that this may not be a 6 month get well fix, but could be with me a while longer. And that made me quite sad.

Thank you for all your hugs and good thoughts and lovely fab words and the love and support, I feel lucky to know you all :)

xxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

That's a weight off my mind,  when I read your blog I thought I might be going mad. On the other hand, I think maybe it's the consultants are a bit dotty, which is hardly a consolation. Harsher treatment for bigger risks? Um ... I would very much be inclined to say no.

I'm so sick of being ill, and I've only (officially) had cancer since July. I just want to say "Okay, that's enough now, it was fun while it lasted*, but the joke's over." But, in the spirit of being a grown-up, I am going to pretend that my philosophy is 'it doesn't matter when it goes, the point is: it goes!'

... I'm not sure I can do it convincingly yet, though.

* No it wasn't.

xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I hope yours is the 6 month fix, but no guarantees are provided. If the worst happens, which it won't, just remember that Murraymint was more advanced and a right sod to shift, and (as one consultant put it) I had a very naughty cell that liked to play hide and seek. I did go to hell and back but eventually with the combined forces of haematologists in West Midlands we got the bugger! If one thing doesn't work there is the knowledge that there are back-up plans. Think of that as a positive.

All appendages crossed

Big hugs and kisses

xxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya,

Hope you get the best solution for you Ems and of course that it gets rid of that little sod.

Lots of hugs and best wishes!

Tight Lines

Tim (tired) xxx