Everything changes from tomorrow....

• Dad's Fourth Onocologist appointment, cancelled chemo and hospital admission...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

25th October 2011 – chest xray and blood tests.  All ok, not much to see on the xray as ever.  Dad said that he’d been suffering with lower back ache this time and continued constipation.  The Onc examined his back and felt tummy etc.  said that because he has secondary bone cancer, it can press on the nerves around the bowels and bladder and he needs to watch out for incontinence and/or weakness in the legs, loss…

• Dad's third Oncologist appointment and midway CT scan results....

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So we're half way through 6 cycles of Carboplatin and Etoposide for dad's extensive SCLC, had a scan on Friday and today was results day.  Petrified is not the word!  Dad also has a separate bowel cancer, which at the moment is not being treated.  The lung cancer is the biggest threat to his life.  Over the last 4-5 weeks he has been suffering with cramps and overflow diahorrea, generally feeling very tired, not being…

• My charity ride....

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Being a keen cyclist and spending the last 3 years doing a lot of cycling, I found the Moonriders event on here and without a second thought, signed up.  I trained hard, gradually increasing my distance to beyond the 100km that I had planned to do.  Naturally my chosen charity was Macmillan.

So all week i'd been feeling a bit off, Thursday in particular I didn't feel right.  Woke up Friday morning will full on symptoms…

• Dad's second oncologist appointment post chemo...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

We saw the oncologist today following dad's second chemo for SCLC, he's had a tough cycle and spent the majority of it in bed.  Problems with his bowels (he also has a primary bowel cancer) and fatigue, weight loss etc. but the first appointment shown a reduction in the lung tumor so it was all good news.

This time however there is no change in the lung tumor, he said it is hard to see on an xray because it is…

• Dad's second chemo hasn't been a good one..

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dad seemed to sail through his first chemo, hardly any side effects despite us preparing for him to be sick, the bucket by his bed remained unused, he continued his daily walks to the pub, everything was and felt normal - almost easy to forget that dad has got cancer.

The Onc said he should expect to feel the same second cycle - great we thought.  But wasn't to be.  Not sure if it was the side effects from the chemo…