Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• Cancer & Me 35 Years On – Vol 2 – Best Friends Forever

A painting of two orange flame lilies on a plain cream background

Flame lily (watercolour) by Willo

Today in our Community News blog Willo is back with the second instalment of our new series called ‘Cancer & me 35 years on’. In this series, Willo, known on the Community as patsyann85, tells us about her experience of being diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia. We will be sharing more of Willo’s writing…

• Rebellious hope – Reflecting on the legacy of Dame Deborah James

Credit: Dan Williams / The Sun / News Licensing

Here on the Community team, we were all very saddened to hear that Dame Deborah James had passed away from Bowel cancer at the end of June. After spending some time reflecting on what she meant to those affected by Bowel cancer, and thinking about her amazing legacy, we wanted to dedicate today’s Community News Blog to Deborah and all those who knew and loved her.

• Cancer and Covid- Ruth's Story

Ruth's Story- cancer and covid written in white over a picture of rows of green seats in a waiting room

October is Breast cancer awareness month and to mark this, Ruth sharing her cancer experience of being diagnosed with Breast cancer during the Coronavirus pandemic. Ruth talking about becoming a mum and being diagnosed, all during a national lockdown.  

I never thought I would be diagnosed with breast cancer, at 32, with a 7-week-old baby. I also never thought that I would be on my own when I heard those fateful words…