Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• "...I was winded by the realisation that I could've died. Equally, I realised that now I had to live." - David's story

FormerMember
    FormerMember

'Life after cancer' written over a picture of a pier, stretching out into the sea and blue sky.

Last month, Community News shared My cancer, my sexuality, me. – a piece written by a gent named David, which spoke about his diagnosis and its relation to his sexuality. David’s story made for an extremely honest and heartfelt read, so I thought I’d ask him to contribute another piece this month. 

Fortunately, David recently underwent chemotherapy treatment which proved to be successful. His below piece…

• Cancer and work - how the Community can help

An image of two colleagues in a meeting at work

When you have cancer, or you’re supporting a loved one with cancer, it can affect many areas of your life. When people are being diagnosed earlier and often retiring later in life, it’s likely that many members of the Community will be of working age.

When you’re already dealing with diagnosis and treatment, it can be difficult when your workplace doesn’t completely understand. Employers might not be aware…

• Arts, crafts and coping with cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

“Arts, crafts and coping with cancer” written over a black and white photograph of hands moulding clay.

"…it gave me better pain relief than any drug could ever do.”

Facing cancer arguably takes a lot of energy, and naturally it becomes a central focus of someone’s life. But this doesn’t mean hobbies or pastimes, including arts and crafts, need to fall to the wayside. Such hobbies often provide a vital escape to where cancer is no longer the central focus, but rather your enjoyment and perhaps solace…