Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• Self-management for your own health and healthcare

Close-up of a disabled and Black non-binary person with tattoos cutting green onions with kitchen scissors.

Managing your own care can be necessary when dealing with a long-term health condition or illness, such as some cancers. It can be overwhelming to think about at first, especially when you might have been recently diagnosed.

Learning more about self-management for your own health can help you at any stage of your experience with cancer. This can mean understanding your condition and what you might need, decision making…

• "I am just persevering" - Shaun's story

This week, we’re sharing Shaun’s journey with cancer, in his own words. You can also read his wife Janet’s story on Community news here

Man sat outside a blue tent in a field smiling at the camera

In November 2019, I had two of my upper teeth taken out at my dentist.

In the following days I noticed a swelling in my neck so I went to the doctors where I was given antibiotics.

After a week of these there was no difference so I was given another course.

A week later…

• Managing cancer and side effects at work: Elvina’s story

Do you feel you have the right support at work?

Lots of people affected by cancer, like Elvina, don’t always feel they have the support they need from their employer, manager, or from the sickness policies in place at work. Lots of people may feel worried about work when they are affected by cancer.

Here in the Online Community, we’re featuring a new series working with Macmillan’s Digital Storytelling Project…