Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• World Lymphoma Day 2018: "My illness did not define us, our strength and courage did"

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The 15th September is World Lymphoma Day, a time to raise awareness around symptoms and diagnosis. To mark it, Mike has written about his experience of being diagnosed and the treatment he received.

Mike, from Inverness in the beautiful Highlands of Scotland, is married with two daughters and four granddaughters. He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1999. He also has his own blog called Thehighlander’s jou…

• Cancer & me 35 years on - Vol 10 'A Chance encounter'

'Cancer & me 35 years on, Vol 10' written over a photograph of lots of tubes of paints and paintbrushes laid out on a wooden table.

We are back today with a further instalment of Willo's blog series 'Cancer & me 35 years on.' Willo is a member of our Community who was diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia and has been sharing her experience of life post diagnosis, as well as her amazing artwork, in her blog series with us.

So far Willo has covered her experience of moving back to England for treatment, her Br…

• "Always trust your gut instinct" - Colleen's story

FormerMember
    FormerMember

"Always trust your gut instinct" written over three grey pebbles piled up on yellow sand, with the blue sea in the background.

Colleen got in touch with the Community team a couple of months ago to share with us her experiences following her appendix cancer diagnosis. Colleen’s story offers not a great insight into what is a rare cancer, but also the emotional impact diagnosis had on her and how she reacted.

If you’ve been affected by appendix cancer, why not share your experiences in the comments below.

So, on being woken on a Friday…