The worry of waiting - sharing support on the Online Community

6 minute read time.
The worry of waiting - sharing support on the Online Community

Living with cancer can often mean living with uncertainty and anxiety. Waiting for test results, can be a particularly worrying time for you and your loved ones. Whether you’re awaiting a cancer diagnosis, a referral or reviewing a cancer treatment plan, the waiting period might feel really difficult.

You might find it helps to be able to talk to other people with cancer.

Some people might find that they are faced with delays or uncertainties with their cancer care. In this blog we will be sharing experiences and coping strategies from around the Online Community. We will also share some useful links to help you advocate for yourself and find the right care and support. 

Help with your emotions and mental health when waiting

Both you and your family members and other loved ones might find things difficult during any waiting periods.

Some people look for more cancer information whilst they are waiting for news from their healthcare providers. Searching for information can help you feel more in control while you wait for your results. However, if you are not sure of the diagnosis or treatment plan, some information can be confusing and upsetting.

It may be better to wait until a diagnosis is made before looking for more information. If you do decide to find out more, it is a good idea to make sure the information is from a reliable source.

In addition to sharing support in the Community forums, you can also find trusted cancer information on the Macmillan website and through the Macmillan Support Line.

Cancer waiting times and delays

You might find that you get involved in your healthcare more than you expected. With some GP referrals, cancer waiting times and check-ups being delayed, don’t be afraid to chase your GP or hospital team.

Many Community members say they have been happy with their cancer care. Some say that they have been surprised with how fast everything has happened, or that they feel that medical professionals have done their very best for them. 

Other members report feeling distressed about delays.

If you're worried about delays, or not sure how you can best navigate the system, it's worth chatting with other members to find out how they have managed their care.

In a recent Community News Blog "Being your own advocate", we met Jules who has stage 4 lung cancer. Jules continues to live life with her partner and son to the full, but constantly feels she has to advocate for herself to get the care she needs, leaving her feeling angry and frustrated. Jules has empowered herself by getting involved in her own care and in Macmillan’s campaigns

More related blogs and webpages

Finding further support

Search our Online Community forums for people with similar cancer types or experiences for the best support.  If you're supporting a loved one with cancer, you can also find support from our family and friends forum in the Community. We also have a dedicated space for carers only, a safe and supportive space for caregivers to share their worries and emotions. If you're struggling to find the right forums for you, send us an email to community@macmillan.org.uk and we will help you find your way around.

For further support, questions or just to talk things through, please do reach out to our Support Line. Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00, email or live webchat.

We'd welcome your comments and feedback in the comments section below. We'd also love to hear from you if there's a subject you'd like to see in a future Community News Blog.  

Anonymous
  • This is incredibly helpful thank you. I'm in the waiting phase, and feel like it's the cooing with the unknown that's the hardest. Not just for me, but for those in my life. Also for work, feel like I'm a fraud for being off but physically symptoms are there, but it's more mentally that's making it hard for me to be in work.

• Hi  

Thank you for taking the time to comment, although I am sorry that you're currently going through this worry.

You're certainly not alone in feeling this way and please don't feel like a fraud for taking time off work.  It's positive that you're listening to your body and mind and looking after your own needs.

Thank you for supporting others in the Community forums and I hope it helps a little not to go through this alone.

I hope you get some answers soon, we'll be here for as long as you need us.

• I am waiting to be put on a medical trial for new drugs when all the common ovarian cancer drugs aren't working for me. Devastated that my body is falling apart and i cant do anything about it. The waiting is painful, exausting.

• Hi  

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share of your experience. Im sorry to read of all the pain you are experiencing. If you ever feel the need to chat to someone at Macmillan about how you are feeling, please don't hesitate to call our Support Line on freephone, 0808 808 00 00. They are there to listen and offer advice if needed. They are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm.

Best wishes,
    Dylan

• Hello, have lots of questions and feeling confused is there a 24 hour chat please?