If I could go back to the day of my cancer diagnosis

5 minute read time.
If I could go back to the day of my cancer diagnosis

The moment of a cancer diagnosis can feel like stepping into uncharted territory, bombarded with unfamiliar terms and overwhelming emotions. As we approached the end of 2023, we posed some questions to the Online Community, inviting members to reflect on the day of their diagnosis.

“If you could go back and speak to yourself at the time of diagnosis:

• What words of comfort, advice or encouragement would you offer?
  • What lessons have you learnt that you wish you knew from the start?
  • What wisdom or guidance would have made a difference?”

Community members replied with some profound insights and reflections. Here are snippets from some of the members’ responses.

Reflections from the Online Community

We’d love to hear from you

If you would like to take a moment to add to the discussion, feel free to post your reflections or thoughts in the comments below. Your shared experience and insights can offer invaluable support and encouragement to those who might be at the beginning of their cancer journey.

Further reading

You are not alone

If you are struggling today and in need of support, it's important to remember that you don’t have to go through this alone. Someone at Macmillan would love to chat with you. Our support team are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00, email or live webchat.

Anonymous
  • Taken aside with my wife and told that tonsil cancer T2N1M0 had been diagnosed.... very treatable with chemoradiotherapy.... but that the treatment was brutal and very difficult to bear...I feel that the terminology used could have been enough to make some decide against chemoradiotherapy.... challenging and very challenging would have been more apt.

• Hi  

Thank you for commenting on my blog. 

Im sorry to hear that you have cancer in your spine and prostate.  I wanted to leave a reply here to let you know that we sent you an email this morning with some info that you may find helpful. Please know that Macmillan and the Online Community is here for you so feel free to reach out when and if you need.

Best wishes,
    Dylan

• Hi Gemmary,

Thank you for sharing that link. I'm glad you found it when you did and Im sure other members will find it helpful.

You make a very good point here, all the focus can be placed on the start of a cancer journey and the treatment that is needed without much being mentioned about how to process things after treatment. 

We have a "Life after cancer forum" which is dedicated to those kind of conversations.

Best wishes,
    Dylan

• When I was diagnosed in July 2023 for prostate cancer my wife thankfully was with me. I was shocked at the time but my first concern was for my wife and our adult sons. I don’t think I took it in and just never asked the consultant enough questions. I did a lot of reading over the weekend following diagnosis about options and made decision after lots of discussion with wife and the lads.
    I decided on surgery to remove prostate. Had surgery in August and it wasn’t until after did I start to process what had actually happened to me in the space of 4 months. Since surgery psychologically it’s been hard and emotional. My 3 month follow up PSA showed no detection of cancer. Brilliant. Everyone thinks you’re all OK your cancer free. Of course it’s great news but that does not take away how I feel.  Family and friends can’t see inside what going on in my head. Things like did I choose the right treatment. I feel like of a man. My feelings about myself etc. been referred to see clinical psychologist as they think I’ve PTSD from trauma. Waiting list is long about 4 month wait. My point is I’m not ungrateful to anyone in health service, not least of all my surgeon and nurse and family. But how I feel is real to me. 

• I felt dreadfully alone. I had a pulled muscle in my thigh that wouldn't clear up. It got better when I rested it for a few days but it always came back. I left it for months before I went to the doctor. (The surgeon later told me that at least half the people in her waiting room would say the same)