If I could go back to the day of my cancer diagnosis

5 minute read time.
If I could go back to the day of my cancer diagnosis

The moment of a cancer diagnosis can feel like stepping into uncharted territory, bombarded with unfamiliar terms and overwhelming emotions. As we approached the end of 2023, we posed some questions to the Online Community, inviting members to reflect on the day of their diagnosis.

“If you could go back and speak to yourself at the time of diagnosis:

• What words of comfort, advice or encouragement would you offer?
  • What lessons have you learnt that you wish you knew from the start?
  • What wisdom or guidance would have made a difference?”

Community members replied with some profound insights and reflections. Here are snippets from some of the members’ responses.

Reflections from the Online Community

We’d love to hear from you

If you would like to take a moment to add to the discussion, feel free to post your reflections or thoughts in the comments below. Your shared experience and insights can offer invaluable support and encouragement to those who might be at the beginning of their cancer journey.

Further reading

You are not alone

If you are struggling today and in need of support, it's important to remember that you don’t have to go through this alone. Someone at Macmillan would love to chat with you. Our support team are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00, email or live webchat.

Anonymous
  • Hello  

It's Steph here from the Community team. Thank you for commenting on Dylan's blog, although I am sorry to hear that you have been through such a rollercoaster of emotions.

It sounds like you have been through a lot and I hope it is helping to be able to talk through your feelings with members of the breast cancer forum.

Your needs are important and it's positive that you have chased your healthcare professionals and asked questions whenever you have needed to. Please remember that our Support Line teams are here for you too. Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

As part of our online cancer information pages on diagnosis, we have some guides on talking to your healthcare team and on questions about your diagnosis.

Take care and I hope you will continue to find comfort from the Community, Ricepud. 

• Hi  

My name is Steph and I’m part of the Community team here at Macmillan. May I wish you another warm welcome to the Online Community, I hope you will find it to be a safe place of comfort and support.

I was sorry to read about your cancer diagnoses and for how your experience has made you feel. I hope you find it helpful to be able to talk to others on the Community. Do you have any other support around you at all?

Whenever you’re ready and feel comfortable doing so, I’d encourage you to post a new message in one of the forums so that members can offer you some support.

You can find our supportive prostate cancer forum here

To join, follow the link in the forum name above and click to join in the banner. Please click +new (or + on a mobile) to start a new post. There’s some help available here if you get stuck, or message us back and we’ll support you further.

If you’d like to talk anything through with someone at Macmillan, I’d encourage you to contact the Support Line for emotional, practical and financial support. Even if you just want to chat with someone who is there to listen, I’d really encourage you to give us a call.  Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

There’s also some information on the Macmillan website here for when you’ve recently been diagnosed which you might find helpful to have a read through.

Please do let us know if you have any questions or need further support with anything at all. I hope the Community helps to show you that you don’t have to go through anything alone.

• Hi  

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in response to Dylan's blog. 

It's positive that despite everything you have been through, you have learnt so much and refuse to allow cancer to define you. 

Thank you for all the support you share with others here on the Community.

Take care.

• I've got cancer in my spine and prostate. What's the point going on ,they might as injectme

• Not so much the diagnosis day, but my fear was after treatment finished, and I felt abandoned!!

This paper was a godsend. It needs to be more available.

www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/.../After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf