Changing Seasons - Online Community cancer support in 2022.

4 minute read time.
Changing Seasons - Online Community cancer support in 2022.

Summer is often thought of as a time associated with holidays and celebration, Autumn can be more of a time of reflection and transition.

As the cold weather closes in and we all face the dreaded prospect of turning the heating on (given the current cost of living crisis), we’re wondering how you’re all feeling? Are you ready to start reflecting on 2022 yet? Or is it too early for all that?

In today’s Community News Blog we’re rounding up this year’s blogs so far, sharing highlights and stories of real people affected by cancer that you might have missed.

The start of the year had us thinking about New Beginnings, after a changeable few years to say the least.

“Today I’m going to be open and not internalise my fear. It’s okay not to be okay.”

Online Community member, New Beginnings Blog

We also put out a Stoma series which shared emotions, tips, and support for people living with a stoma.

“I enjoyed reading it through and visiting the older posts. It’s really helpful.”

Online Community member, Stoma series: tips from others living with a stoma

As spring rolled in, we released a number of improvements on the Community.

“Nice tips, thank you!”

Online Community member, Community Improvements Blog

We’d been working towards these for a while but it was fantastic to finally see them go live. The most notable of these, of course, being reactions. They have proved very popular ever since.

Late spring saw the start of concerns around the cost of living crisis, after the drastic and concerning global political events.

We put together a blog on cost of living support for people affected by cancer. We also recognised how a lot of people were feeling at that time with our blog around Cancer and Anxiety.

“It can be very hard to be the carer holding things together. I am incredibly grateful to my husband and friends for supporting me.”

Online Community member, Cancer and Anxiety Blog

Summer began and many people were inspired and touched by the story of Dame Deborah James, after her sad passing from bowel cancer. We shared a blog reflecting on what she meant to those affected by bowel cancer, and her legacy

“What an inspirational woman for all us bowel cancer warriors she just gave so much positivity and hope to us all.”

Online Community member, Rebellious Hope blog on Dame Deborah James

Summer also saw our team member Eliza share a slightly different type of blog to our usual Community news, sharing her experiences representing Macmillan at York Pride

“Cancer doesn’t discriminate it doesn't care about your sexuality, your colour or your race. Together we are stronger.”

Online Community member, Representing the Online Community at Pride blog

As many people across the country experienced a heat wave mid-summer we shared some tips to help you stay cool. We also shared travel tips from our forums too, to help those looking to sort a break away.

Late summer we put together a guide for people who might be new to finding cancer support online.

We know it can be overwhelming at first and our ‘Finding Cancer Support Online – Where do I start?’ blog gives an overview of the different support avenues available on the Community.  

As we hit September and autumn began to loom large, we shared Sarah-Jane’s story from Macmillan’s digital story telling project. It also got us thinking about last year’s being bodies series too.

“This is such an important topic, which affects both people in a relationship, and in other medical conditions is equally ignored or swept under the carpet. One thing Sarah Jane is absolutely not is alone”

Online Community Member, Macmillan’s digital story telling project blog

We shared another story, mid-September, from the Digital story telling project in Breast cancer and femininity: Issy’s story.

After an unusual few years since 2020, time may certainly have felt like its passed differently for many.

With all the challenges facing us as a nation, we’re hoping you are safe and well. Are you ready to think about 2022 wrapping up? Can you see yourself writing 2023, or is that too far away yet?

Why not share your feelings below. You might find new friends and support on the Community, from real people affected by cancer who understand.  

As always don’t hesitate to comment below, or email us at community@macmillan.org.uk, with any thoughts / feedback or concerns.

Anonymous