Terminal Cancer, Through a daughter's eyes

• 29th May 2013 latest update

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today we were told mums to poorly for the liver biopsy so the consultant would like to try a bronchoscopy to get a sample of the cancer.

Mum doesnt seem to concerned about this procedure as she had to have her oesophagus stretched many years ago and she assumed it was a similar procedure. I think now it was a good job she didnt know what it really involved as im not sure she would have had it done.

We are told it will…

• The days following the worst news ever imagined,

FormerMember
    FormerMember

25th may 2013 - 28th may 2013

Its a bank holiday weekend and the sun is beaming through the ward, Its to nice a day I think to myself for Mum to be stuck inside. I consider taking her out into the grounds to get some air and hopefully lift her spirits but mum is still on oxygen full time so we are stuck in the ward as a portable oxygen and drip are hard to come by.

Dawn (my Sister) and I are now doing split shifts between…

• The day after diagnosis

FormerMember
    FormerMember

23rd May 2013

Mum seems to have gone into a bubble where no one can reach her today, She sits looking out of the window next to her bed just gazing not really focusing on anything. She grabs our hands and holds them just that little bit tighter than normal.

The doctor comes round again in the morning and says to Mum she needs to have a biopsy to determine what type of cancer she has and how aggressive. My Mum barely…

• The shock

FormerMember
    FormerMember

21st May 2013

Mum had been on nebulisers all night and then the doctors said we want to do a ct scan as the regular treatment isnt working and they just wanted to make sure they hadnt missed anything.

Mum was taken for her CT and returned to the ward and us.This was about 2 in the afternoon. My Sister and I spent the afternoon having a little giggle trying to cheer mum up a little.

Later that afternoon the doctors…

• The build up to diagnosis

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My dear Mum has had c.o.p.d for many years which gives her chest infections at a rate of one a month. They happen so often and usually respond to steroids and antibiotics that we wasnt really concerned when in May 2013 mum got another bad chest.

That was until after a week of treatment Mum was worse than ever. She could hardly breathe and any physical effort made her gasp for air.  We begged her to go back to the doctors…