Hello. Hysterectomy 24/4/24, so many queries….help?!

• 7 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi, I had an open abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries preserved on Wednesday. I was discharged Friday. I have been told histology will take about a week - the surgeon said ‘try not to lose any sleep over the results’. Can they tell at the time of surgery whether a mass is a benign fibroid or malignant sarcoma? From the pre-op imaging they could not be sure.

Also, anyone who has had a hysterectomy is it normal to be extensively bruised on the abdomen? It’s getting worse daily with added enoxaparin injections too! 
Lastly, post hysterectomy, how long until people opened their bowels? Was it painful? I haven’t been since Tuesday, it’s now Sunday…when do I get worried? ‘Normal’ for me is 2-3 times/day.

Sorry for all the questions and hope it’s not TMI, just feeling anxious. Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Hi I’m sure you’re relieved that the surgery is done! Like you I had abdominal surgery on Wednesday and was discharged on Friday. I opened bowels on day of surgery and then not until following Monday. I was quite relaxed about it as appetite reduced so not eating much. It didn’t hurt at at all when I went. 

I had some bruising from the injections.. my stomach is still a little tender 12 weeks on.  I was told to ring the ward if worried - do you have the number? 
    sorry can’t help re whether the surgeon ca tell if malignant - I know how difficult it is awaiting results. 

• Hello Rach1234

Welcome to this forum where you will get lots of support and questions answered from ladies like myself who have had hysterectomies.

From my personal experience -I had my hysterectomy in January 2022, mine was done Laparoscopically, so I had  4 small incisions which were bruised, the bruising came out and spread over the area Daily until it faded away. My abdomen area was very swollen and I found it very uncomfortable to wear anything with a waistband, leggings, jeans etc were a no no. I bought a couple of loose flowing dresses and wore those after the op for a couple of weeks. My bowels were also a problem as I felt I needed to 'go' but nothing happened, it did eventually after about 4/days. I drank plenty of water, ate tinned prunes daily and eventually it happened and with such relief. It helps if you eat plenty of greens with your meals, spinach, cabbage and broccoli etc.Walking and keeping active is also very good at moving things along. I took gentle walks at first then went further every day, my husband came with me and I took his arm but had to keep telling him to slow down as at first my pace was slow.

The surgeon possibly gave you a clue that you shouldn't lose sleep and possibly what he saw wasn't too concerning for him but path lab will of course test every bit to see even the microscopic cells that the surgeon couldn't and that determines the outcome overall. Hopefully it will be good news for you.

The injections you are having  will cause bruising, I was alternating the sites from my belly sides to the top of my thighs.

Hope this helps, do ask anything else that comes to mind, take care and hope you have quick recovery. X

Madesp 
  • Hey, good morning, thank you for your response. So so pleased it is done, you are absolutely right . Thumbsup Now it’s just being patient with my body whilst it recovers.
    I am reassured regarding the wait for a bowel movement - thanks! 
    Will call the ward if any other concerns- good call.

• Thanks Madesp for your response too. Really helpful. Good to know we don’t go through this on our own! X

• Have you been given any stool softeners like Laxido sachets? I used them for several weeks after my hysterectomy (robot assisted laparoscopic) and it took away the anxiety of doing any damage.

Being patient with your body recovering was the part I found most challenging if I am honest; I hope you have people around you to help. I did not have to give myself the injections, I just had one given in my arm after surgery, but I remember it did give me a huge bruise. 

Take good care x

• Thanks B74, 

The hospital gave me senna (which are stimulants) and I have bought prunes, fig syrup and sodium doccusate. Hopefully this will have an effect sometime soon! I’ll contact the hospital if no joy by tomorrow. 
    I’ve got lots of support thanks, it’s just getting used to accepting it that I struggle most with and listening to my body. I am trying :) 

Thanks for your message.

Take care

• You must be so relieved to be over the surgery. I had my surgery Dec 2021 and remember well the discomfort with my bowel, I found combinations of senna and use of figs daily (have kept figs on long term), did the trick.

The injections were twice daily for a month, I found it bruised less using alternative sides of my tummy, I wasn't able to tolerate top of my legs as it was too painful, bruised less when I got the subcut angle right.

I hope your recovery is going well 

Best wishes