Hello

• 18 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi I’m new to the group, been diagnosed with grade 3 serous womb cancer which is provisionally staged at 1a.

I am due to have a robotic total hysterectomy on Monday and just wanted to hear people’s experiences with similar diagnosis. I have noticed that the treatments after surgery vary massively with same grade and stage cancer and wondered why this is. My consultant has said radiotherapy is probably going to be offered because of the grade of cancer. Since my diagnosis but I might not need any further treatment atal!

• They did sentinal node testing but not sure how many. But she seemed quite happy i am 'cured'. I have a follow up appointment in July so will ask more questions then. A quick phone call wasn't really enough time- plus I was in the pub! I would have liked a face to face.

• Thanks for taking the time to reply, I know I’m jumping ahead of myself and need to focus on surgery and recovery, just noticed reading people’s journeys with this awful disease that treatments vary so much x

• Hello Sha123 and everyone, I am new too. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 womb cancer in October, I had a radical hysterectomy in November and radiotherapy in Jan this year. I was discharged from my Oncologist's care on 8th March and am now with the local follow up team with the marvellous MacMillan nurses who have been with me all the way.
    But seriously ladies, we keep hearing about breast cancer and cervical cancer and I did not even know womb cancer was a thing until I got it. We really need to let our fellow ladies know of this and to get anything unusual checked soonest.
    I wish my fellow sufferers the very best and we can be here for each other on our journey through this illness.
    Marie

• I found that it can easily feel overwhelming if you look too far ahead. Its helpful to have a bit of an idea but then focus on one step at a time. My CNS said that to me at the start of my journey. Stage 1 is the earliest stage where the cancer is within the womb. The grade 3/serous means that (like mine) they need to get on top of it. Most grade 3's tend to be offered some follow up treatment after the surgery but this is not decided until the post op pathology. There are some genetic circumstances though where it is not needed. So many different factors. But to have a provisional stage 1A is good as they believe it is at the earliest stage. 

Any questions, do ask. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi I had two sentinel nodes tested either side, they put the dye into cervix at start of the op and see which are the sentinel nodes then tested then and they were all clear, but as it was a grade 3 they told me they would take those out of more if needed depending what they saw during surgery, this was at Christie cancer hospital in Manchester good luck for Monday soon be all over x my 6 weeks have just flown by x 

• I wish that I’d known that I should be checking my vulva especiallly as I’m past the age of smear tests. L

• I had my cervix looked at twice in hospital during emergency admissions for massive gynae blood loss (I needed 4 pts of blood in between admission and surgery) and my cervix was ok, but they removed EVERYTHING during a radical hysterectomy for my womb cancer.
    I wish I had taken more notice of light bleeds (which of course turned into massive clots some 4" x 2") and just put them down to light post-menopausal bleeding.
    I also wish women were aware of the existence of womb cancer, we see all the publicity of cervical and breast cancer but when do you hear about womb cancer?
    I wish everyone here the very best on their rout to health. It is nice to be here where others understand what we are going through.

• Thankyou, it’s interesting to hear about the different treatments at different hospitals as well as individual stories x