New here

• 2 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi 

I am 42 yr, Had my hysterectomy to 12 weeks ago for FIGO stage 1a G1. My gyne onco was not sure about my post op  histology LVSI , so she sent for second opinion to another hospital who confirmed that i had focal LVSI and then they sent the sample for genetic POLE test which came back as I don't have the mutation. Now I have been referred to clinical oncologist ( may be for adjuant therapy). I have a telephone appointment with clinical oncology tomorrow. Did anyone have their first appointment as telephone appointment? I am feeling so emotionally drained waiting for each result and each phone conversation brings on anxiety. I had to gather all my courage to write this post. I have been reading this group since the start of my diagnosis and ot has been very helpful. 

• Hi  

Welcome to the group and well done on posting your post. I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis and that you may need further treatment. 

My first appointment with medical oncology was a phone appointment. The oncologist went through all my history and relevant information, then went on to explain all about chemotherapy. He set up a pharmaceutical delivery of drugs I would need (laxatives etc) and referred me to the Chemo day unit.

It is awful waiting for results and creates anxiety. By the way, have a look at the anxiety thread, there are some good suggestions for diverting your thoughts and creating calm. I can understand that telephone appointments are worrying as there is the wait for the call and it is not as easy as speaking face to face. Have you got any questions you want to ask? Write them down and have a notepad and pen near so that you can take notes of the information being given. This gives you something to do and will calm you. The notes will also be useful to remind you of all that was said. Best wishes for your appointment tomorrow.

A x

• Hello  

Sorry to hear you have endometrial cancer but good that you have reached out. My final results were 1b G1 (they originally thought it was 1b G2). I was told over the phone I had LVSI by the nurse. I don't know the extent of it but sensed it wasn't extensive and I was definitely having 27 sessions of Pelvic Radiotherapy. Bit of a shock is putting it mildly.

My Oncology meeting was face-to-face with the Consultant's Registrar who went through everything - potential side effects etc and asked if I was willing to go ahead. My radiotherapy eventually started just over 12 weeks post surgery. I finished my radiotherapy two weeks ago.

That was my experience anyway. I know the waiting around is awful and I had a lot of questions. A lot of them were answered on this forum.

Wishing you all the best - let us know how you get on.