Hysterectomy first?

• 11 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi- I am new. I was told yesterday I have the signs and 2 mass for endometrial cancer. As well as thickened uterus lining. Why not just get a hysterectomy right away? My doctor wants to have all these tests done first. I’m panicking. I’m a single mom of 2. 

• Hi Tink3, welcome to the group! What tests have you had done already? For me I had transvaginal scan, then hysteroscopy, then staging MRI then hysterectomy. 

• Hello Tink3

Welcome to the Online Community and the womb group. I am sorry that you have been told that you have a thickened endometrium and some signs of endometrial cancer. I remember what a worrying time it was when I went through my diagnosis and I can remember just thinking that I wanted it all taken out as soon as possible.

Having tests and getting a firm diagnosis is the normal thing to happen and it helps the doctors determine the best treatment for you. 

For me it was an abdominal and a transvaginal scan. This showed an issue. I was then called in to have a biopsy taken. It took around a week for this to come back as showing cancer. The biopsy not only shows whether there is cancer present, but if there is can give the doctors an understanding of the type of endometrial cancer and also some other genetic details. 

The next step was a CT scan to check exactly where the cancer was and whether any cells had gone anywhere else in my body. 

When you have these tests if it does turn out to be a cancer then the doctors with have an idea about the stage and grade of the cancer. The stage and grade help with treatment decisions. For most people this is a hysterectomy. After the surgery, depending on grade and stage there is sometimes some follow up treatment. 

The doctors also need to do general tests as well to make sure that surgery is safe and the best option. So they will ask general questions and I had a pre med a few days before my op. 

I can understand that you just want a hysterectomy straight away and that it is hard to wait but I actually found that once the tests were done then things moved forwards fairly quickly. 

I can understand your worries about being a single mum of 2 but the best thing in all honesty is to find out exactly what is going on, for the doctors to have all the information to make a firm diagnosis and for them to treat you in the safest way. That's why they are doing the tests.

I wish you all the best and hope that you do not have to wait too long for your results.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Welcome to the group. I had bloods done at the GP and referred to Gynaecology at the local hospital. Bloods were fine, no concerns. I had a pipelle biopsy in gynae outpatients by the consultant. A week later I had a transvaginal ultrasound and the Consultants secretary had phoned me and said that he wanted to see me after the scan. I was panicking a bit because it sounded serious but my bloods and a recent smear had been fine. I saw the Consultant and was told I had cancer and needed a hysterectomy. I was given a pre assessment appointment there and then. The MDT discussed my case and my cancer was thought to be simple, so the local hospital was assigned my surgery.

I had no other tests.

2 weeks after my surgery, my lab results were back. The Consultants secretary again rang me and said he wanted to see me the next day, which didn't sound good. I was told that my simple cancer had abruptly transitioned to aggressive in the muscle layer, I needed staging surgery and a CT was planned. I was referred to a different hospital that deals with more serious cases.

The reason I'm telling you this is that, if I had had MRI or CT prior to surgery, would I be where I am now? I wouldn't have known that further investigations were routine pre op if it wasn't for this group as I am assuming different regions have different protocols. The rest of my story is in my profile.

Be patient and let the surgeons see the full picture before planning your operation. Best regards.

A x

• Hi Tink3

The tests are important so the doctors get a picture of what is going on,  what type or grade of cancer and what stage the cancer is at, so they can plan the best course of action and treatment for you. 

Madesp 
  • I had the same tests, and within a week I was booked in for hysterectomy then waited 2 weeks for my op, I go for my op today, they have a process, let them do it it, they need as much information as they can get so they know what they're doing is right for you....good luck!

• I had to have a contrast mri so they could see everything then a hysterectomy booked 5 weeks later 

• How did your op go hope your home now 

• I'm good thank you, came home the next day, just got to wait on the results now,  trying to stay positive! 

• I know it's hard isn't I had my op 3 weeks ago and still waiting for apt on results 

• Did you get a stage and grade before op