Womb cancer

• 5 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi I’m new here, I was diagnosed with womb cancer in July. 
I am getting very frustrated and concerned and would like to know how long does it usually take from diagnosis to having the hysterectomy operation. I have had MRI done but still awaiting date for op

many thanks

hobbity

• Hi Hobbity, welcome to the group! When you had the results of your staging MRI, were you given a predicted grade and stage? I was diagnosed on 19/11/21, had my MRI and chest x Ray on 23/11/21, results on 26/11/21, pre op assessment on 15/12/21, op date given on 31/12/21, hysterectomy done on 22/1/22. The waiting is definitely the worst bit! Have you phoned your CNS to chase things up?

• Hi MarmiteFan59

I had my pre op on 18th August, MRI scan on 8th September and have not heard anything else I contacted the cancer nurse 2weeks ago and they said I have been added to the list but no date yet. I have not been given a predicted grade but was told I may need lymph nodes removed at same time

The waiting is definitely hard

Thanks

Hobbity

• Hello Hobbity

Welcome to the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that you have had a diagnosis of Womb cancer. I can understand that you are feeling frustrated while waiting to have treatment. 

For me it took 4 weeks from first symptom to surgery but I think that I was very fortunate. 

It is good that you have had your scan done and from that they should be able to work out a possible stage and grade. Have you been given a CNS yet? If not there may be some contact details on any letter that you have from the hospital. I would suggest contacting them and just asking when the hysterectomy is likely to be. 

Alternatively, you could consider contacting your GP and asking whether they can find anything out for you. I did this myself and put in one of those online consultations. I just said that I had the diagnosis and was waiting and becoming more and more anxious and wasn't sure what was happening. I heard back from my GP within a couple of hours and was given an appointment the following day (Friday) During Friday pm I had my preops done. And Monday I had the surgery. My GP was able to look on my notes at what he had been sent and contact the hospital directly on some sort of internal line. 

Hope this helps and that you do not have to wait too long to find out.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane

thank you I will try and contact my GP, I didn’t think they could do anything as was under consultant at hospital, that’s good to know

thanks

hobbity

• It's worth a try- mine was able to help. Even if they can get some information direct from the hospital for you as to when it is likely to be- it saves you worrying. Throughout my diagnosis and different treatments- I found that everything was emailed directly to my doctor and posted to me, so my doctor often got everything 4-5 days quicker than me- an those 4/5 days really matter when you are worrying.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm