9mm womb lining - referred to hysteroscopy

• 8 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Joined Macmillan 4 years ago after abnormal screening and lletz & then PMB - now back again 2023 after PMB and ultrasound which found 9mm womb lining. Have been feeling very tired and gained weight around my stomach - Trying to be sensible waiting as previous PMB was due to HRT - however last time had thin womb lining. Already off work with stress for other reasons but now this! However because I got so scared 4 years ago and immediately my mind went to worst case scenario which turned out to be unfounded, this time I feel calmer. However I think I am also a bit in denial and feeling numb and now it's starting to sink in I find my mind is thinking; prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Preparing for the worst however sends my mind to some places it doesn't want to go! So my current plan is to take it one day at a time until my hysteroscopy on 28th June and then take it from there. Am trying to get out of the house for a coffee and time in nature as I find that calming. Anyway any support or advice would be gratefully received.

A x

• Hello JaneAustenfan

I am sorry that you are having a stressful time following your PMB and ultrasound. The waiting is tough and all the worst possible scenarios can run through your mind and the slightest twinge makes you fear the worst- that's what I found last year while waiting for my hysteroscopy. Trying to take one day at a time until the 28th and then taking it from there sounds a good plan.

There are lots of different causes of hyperplasia (thickened womb lining) and cancer is only one of those. As you say, last time it was due to HRT. It is something that needs checking though and that is why they are being cautious and recommending the hysteroscopy. It's the only way to know for sure what is causing the problem and what treatment needs to be considered. 

Getting out of the house and spending time in nature is something that worked for me. I regularly walked in local rural places during my diagnosis and treatments and it really helped. On the days that it felt like too much effort I would go and sit outside or potter around in the garden. 

Next week will soon come around and this time next week it will be done. 

I hope it goes well and please do ask if there is anything else you need in the meantime.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• HI JaneAustenfan

I am sorry to hear you are having a stressful time.  Taking it one day at a time is, I think the best plan.  I know what you mean about hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.  I decided to lock that worst case scenario away in a little box in my mind and focus on the things I could control.  Diet, excercise, relaxation - just generally looking after yourself.  If you carry on doing this the next week will soon be done with and hopefully you will have favourable results from your hysteroscopy. 

Wishing you all the very best of luck for next week.  

Jules

• Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt so know exactly how you feel..2019 PMB ultrasound, biopsy, hysteroscopy and further hysteroscopy under a general to remove polyps, womb lining approx 7mm..all results normal. 

fast forward to 2023 PMB, womb lining now 8mm, biopsy taken with hysteroscopy, all normal, another hysteroscopy to remove polyps…6 week wait for results and this time atypical hyperplasia found in one of the polyps…planned treatment is hysterectomy, had a cancellation offered which I accepted but sent home as blood sugars too high…now T2 diabetic..sugars getting back to normal with meds. Should also add I’m very overweight.

I asked consultant if I could take a planned holiday in August before having a second attempt at hysterectomy and he said I could wait till September (have another holiday booked but was willing to cancel that but he said no need)

On Sunday I had a mirena coil out in and another biopsy taken as I’m very anxious that the hyperplasia might not just be confined to polyp..waiting on results..

my consultant told me that Dr Google needs kicking into the abyss because it’s always making his patients anxious…he’s right but I guess we all do it.

You don’t have too long to wait for your hysteroscopy and I hope everything comes back as ok for you x

• Hello Jane

Thank you so much for your reply and your supportive words. It helps to be in touch with someone who has been there and understands. I don't have long to wait now. There is a risk of thunderstorms today so I feel a bit stuck in the house; however I think I might get stuck into my book to take my mind off things. Will keep you all updated after Wednesday. Thank you again. I hope you are having a good weekend.

A x

A
  • Hi Jules Thank you for your reply. I think the little box to lock away the worst case scenario is a good idea and I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. I hope you are having a peaceful Sunday afternoon. Thanks so much again for your reply

Ax

A
  • Hi Duffersmum Thank you so much for your reply and your support. How frustrating for you that you have to wait for your hysterectomy. It's hard waiting and not knowing. I am still trying to take things one step at a time and hope it won't be too long before I have some more facts about my situation and can plan accordingly.Thanks again for your support.

A x

A
  • Hi JaneAustenfan, I’d recommend watching coverage of the Glastonbury Festival this afternoon - the weather is lovely there and the music and atmosphere wonderfully lovely and cheerful! We’re just about to watch Cat Stevens and are also looking forward to Elton John’s set this evening.

• Aww thank you Marmitefan. A good idea. It's very kind of you to think of me. Have read your backstory and it sounds like you have been on a rollercoaster. I hope you will enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening.

A x

A