It's the waiting that gets you

• 4 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Diagnosed with womb cancer last week, have had MRI and now waiting for CT scan. Most of the time I'm (relatively) OK, but occasionally overwhelmed by fear- I'm sure you've all been there! 

I've managed to come to terms with the inevitable hysterectomy, and can get my head around chemo and/ or radio therapy. My panics are around, what if it's worse, what if I can't be fixed.

IFor most of us, cancer is a really triggering word, and I know that treatments etc have come on in leaps and bounds. But that doesn't stop me panicking. 

I've got a Headspace app on my phone - has anyone tried it for the panic? Any other recommendations for managing the anxiety would be appreciated.

• Hi LondonLoop

i know exactly how you are feeling. I was diagnosed nearly 6 weeks ago and have my hysterectomy next Friday. I have moments when I feel ok and ready to take what comes and moments of complete anxiety. I used to be a radiotherapy radiographer so I know a little which sometimes I think makes it worse! Things definitely seem to have progressed in the last 35 years!

Once I had the scan results I felt a bit more in control. Hopefully you will too.

Linda xx

• Thank you. Hope your op goes ok

• Treatments have definitely improved over the years. Radiotherapy especially seems now to be very precise in terms of targeting specific areas. Former and current radio therapists and oncologists I have spoken with all assure me that it is a very effective treatment.

It’s hard not to have moments of panic. I found the not knowing the worse though now post total hysterectomy and in the process of radiotherapy that I am calmer. Meditation and calming exercises can help though I haven’t tried any apps 

• Feeling exactly the same. I am just waiting for a date for radical hysterectomy. Swing from positivity to abject desolation second to second. Luckily I am continuing to work, which has helped and got me out of my own head, but sometimes I’m not sure how I put one foot in front of the other…… I am just focusing on the operation and recovery, trying to break it into ,’bite size chunks’, will tackle the other treatment once recuperating.