Serous adanocarcenoma and hysterectomy

• 2 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi

My 76 year old mum has the above cancer. She has had 4 cycles of chemo which have been pretty brutal. She will have a full hysterectomy in January, followed by 2 more cycles of chemo.

Has anyone out there got experience of this? We know her cancer is more uncommon. We believe it is more uncommon to have chemo before the op. The chemo has shrunk the tumour to an operable size, which is good news.

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone with a story to share.

Many thanks.

• Hello Minigaf 

I'm sorry you're going through this with mum, my cancer was the Serous type but I had hysterectomy first and then offered adjuvant chemotherapy treatment (Paclitaxel and Carboplatin) as well as brachytherapy

( Internal Radiotherapy). I have heard of this being done to shrink the tumours but not where it's confined to the uterus, is mum's cancer in the uterus or has it penetrated the muscle wall of the womb? 

Hopefully some other member here may know more and reply soon, take care x

Madesp 
  • Hello Mad,

Mum has Stage 3 as the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes, and possibly some of tissue surrounding. The tumour was larger than average and therefore had to shrink before surgery could be considered. This order of treatment is more uncommon. Many ladies, like yourself seem to have surgery first, then chemo. Surprisingly, our CNS doesn't seem to have much experience of it either-despite it being the largest cancer hospital in Europe. But, this tumour is known to respond positively to chemo, and in our case, thankfully it has. The side effects of 4 cycles has been tough on both my parents.  Surgery would be to carry out a radical hysterectomy- which is tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes (plus a bit more higher up). Surgeons have to wait at least 3 weeks after the last chemo, before they will operate so we have to hope the tumour behaves and lies dormant between now and the operation. This is a big op which will be followed with 2 more cycles and possibly radiotherapy. There has been so much to take in.

Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear from people with similar stories.