Lips

• 4 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Is numb lips one of the symptoms after chemotherapy?  I had chemotherapy 16 days ago and not felt well ever since. Apart from the fatigue and weakness, now my lips are tingling and feel numb. Like after the dentist would numb your mouth. I’m finding this symptom worrying, not having had it before. Can anyone help me please?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm currently having paclitaxel chemotherapy for breast cancer but haven't experienced numb lips. You should have a 24-hour contact number for your chemotherapy unit in case you develop any side effects that you're not sure about. I would suggest that you give them a call today.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Fosterliz 

I had Chemo and suffered sore dry eyes and asked my oncologist if chemo was to blame, she explained that chemo can affect every part of your body and that it's different for everyone. I also remember the chemo nurse telling me to watch out for numbness anywhere and they need to know if I feel numbness anywhere as they can adjust the dose of chemo given. I am not medically trained but my guess is that it possibly is the Chemo that's causing your numb lips! Please mention to your oncology team before next treatment. X

Madesp 
  • Thank you for replying to me. Yes, my hands and feet keep feeling numb too. I’ve actually been quite poorly after my chemo. I think the dose will need to be adjusted. All I’ve been able to do for several days is lay on the couch. I’ve been too poorly to do anything else. I’m frightened by the side effects of the chemo. My hair is all falling out too which is very distressing for me. I wish this year was over as I’m finding it really difficult to manage now. What normality I had has gone. I now feel like an invalid. My daughter is going to shave my head tonight when she gets home from work. Myself, I’m dreading it. But…it needs to be done.

• Hi Fosterliz 

Yes I would definitely mention the numbness so that it does not get worse. 

I know the hair is difficult to deal with as it strips you of identity. It made me look older much older than my 64 years. I used the Cold Cap System and lost some hair but not all....I finished Chemo in June this year and my hair has grown back now but is thin and fine. I did get a wig very like my own hair and asked the hairdresser to thin it out a bit as was very much thicker than my own hair and wasn't normal for me, she made a good job and some people could not tell it was a wig! I also got a voucher from macmillan nurse at the hospital so I didn't pay the full price of the wig . 

I know what you mean about normality but trust me once this is done you will return to normal and start to feel somewhat normal. I finished Chemo and then had brachytherapy in August, returned to work beginning of October and I can honestly say I am now living the life I had before Cancer etc. Look to the future and plan something nice for when you finish Chemo as a treat. You've joined a very supportive group and there's always someone around to share concerns with. 

I know the symptoms are frightening,it's all new to you, you will learn the routine as it's possibly the same each dose but the Oncology team will/should keep an eye on things and adjust the dose if need be. It may be useful to keep a diary of your symptoms so it can be discussed at the next appointment. At my hospital they saw me few days before next chemo session it was blood tests and chemo nurse to discuss how it was going, hopefully it will be the same for you too?

Keep us posted how you're doing and reach out if need to xx

Madesp