Almost 3 weeks post op

• 5 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy  with bilateral salpingo-oopohoectomy completed on 26th September.  I have been resting and trying to build up walking but am still struggling and my stomach is still so tender to touch.  Can anyone confirm is this normal I am aware that this can take time to recover.

Thanks so much in advance

• Hi CD22,  well done for your progress along the way so far. Was your op laparoscopic or open?  Walking is good, especially when built up gradually like you’re doing, Some tenderness is quite normal, but I just want to ask you to make sure you’re not doing too much in terms of lifting and also bending. Not lifting anything heavier than a mug of coffee, not walking a dog on lead, not vacuuming, not carrying a tray of food, not bending down to clean or pick stuff up. - all these measures are things that need to be continued for quite a while, several weeks for some of the them. I’m 9 months down the line and am still careful what I lift. Too much stretching or stressing of that area could make you a bit sore or achey, so it’s worth reviewing how much you’re doing. Do you have your date yet for your histology results/review? 

• Hi it was open abdominal, I am being careful not to carry anything heavy I was told not heavier than an 1 litre bottle of water.  Still waiting my return date for the histology.   I have completed a few short journeys over the last few days to the drs amd it has gotten worse following this so maybe the stretching has made it worse?

• Hi again, I had mine done laparoscopically but 30 years ago had a c section and remember the recovery time from that took a while, and this is a more serious op. Is the wound itself healing okay? Is the tenderness in a particular area?

• Hi again nurse been today and said the wound  has healed ok so the soreness amd tenderness will be internal which I know is to be expected the tenderness amd soreness is across my stomach area in general.  Maybe I have just done  to much so am taking it easy for the next day or so.

• Hi CD22

Not sure if this is your first post on the site if so welcome to the group you are amongst friends, the lovely ladies will be happy to share support and their experiences.

Congratulations on getting through your operation its such a stressful time, especially waiting the histology results.

I had Robotic surgery back in April so have 5 tiny scares on my stomach. I can honestly say that I'm only just getting over the effects of the operation, having open surgery takes much longer to heal so don't try and rush it.

I can remember other ladies on here who had the same type as you taking a while to heal, it's not just what you can see outside,  its all the healing on the inside too which is something I sometimes forget about. The best advice I can offer is to listen to your body and rest up when your tired. 

None of us are medically trained though so if any doubt about how its feeling/healing its best to call your CSN or GP for advice 

All the best for your results and recovery, hugs Robin x