Just diagnosed.

• 8 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi. Was diagnosed with stage 1 womb cancer a week ago. Still in shock but starting to sink in. As well as the cancer, now got to come to terms with the thought that i will never have kids now. Find this as tough, or more, than the cancer. Doctors think they have caught it early, but won’t know for sure until after an MRI next Wednesday.  Feeling a bit lost as there are so many unknowns at the moment. 

• Hi Popsyloo

Welcome to the group where there are lots of ladies who can give you their advice and support on what is a difficult time. We have all been there and understand the feelings of shock and disbelief after hearing a cancer diagnosis and the worry of what the future may hold - the unknowns and the waiting is one of the worst parts.

Was it a phase 1 cancer rather than stage 1, as usually preliminary staging is identified following the MRI and final staging after surgery.  I was diagnosed with phase 1 stage 1b, although I'm still waiting for my post surgery results to confirm the stage and whether I require any further treatment (I'm just under 4 weeks post op and hoping I don't need any radiotherapy or chemo).

I myself haven't been able to have children but I had already gone through the menopause when I was diagnosed, but I do understand the pain and hurt of not being able to conceive but it does become easier to accept with time.

I think some ladies on here have asked to retain their ovaries so they have options to have children in the future so maybe this is something you could discuss with your medical team to see if this would be suitable for you. 

Hope you MRI goes well....I found closing my eyes and counting along with the bleeps helps with any feelings of claustrophobia....You may find you have a cannula fitted with a contrast dye and buscopan just in case your letter doesn't mention it.  Its not painful but you may feel a cold liquid up your arm when the dye is released.

Mrs BJH our community champion will also be along soon and she can advise you where to access some helpful links regarding womb cancer.

All the best for Wednesday and keep us all updated on how your treatment goes.

Elaine x

• Hi a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. I well recall the shock and disbelief when I was told I had cancer, two years ago today. I myself was post menopausal when it happened. A lot of people believe it only affects post menopausal ladies but it's not the case sadly. There have been ladies here who were able to have eggs harvested and had children, hopefully they'll be along to answer as well.

Stage 1 means it's confined to the womb but final staging and grading happens when tissue is examined after the hysterectomy. It might also be a good idea for you to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it really informative and helpful. Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

If you've more questions ask us here. We've a wealth of knowledge shared between us as we've all been where you are, feeling lost and numb with shock. We always say don't consult DR Google, you'll scare yourself silly with outdated info. You can either ask your CNS, us or call the Macmillan Support helpline on 0808 808 0000

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You're not alone in this, we're all here to offer support, virtual hugs and listen if you want to rant.

Sending welcoming hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Must be phase one.  They described it as stage 1 but not had the MRI yet. 
    i thought it was peri menopause starting as only started having changes in my cycle march/April this year. 
    i have asked about retaining my ovaries for fertility reasons but they said at 45, there would  be a very high risk of miscarriage even if i did get pregnant and birth abnormalities. Also due to health problems i would very very high risk. 

• I’ve never heard of phase 1 - only types, grades and stages.  Here’s a Macmillan link which explains. As tempted as you might be to Google, I’d advise against it and to just ask questions here, or use the Macmillan site. Bless you as you take it all in and try and settle yourself down. Hope your MRI goes okay and that you get your results quickly. I was lucky as I got them three days later - my MDT meets on a Friday morning and the results just made it in time.

www.macmillan.org.uk/.../womb-cancer-stages

• Thanks marmite. Trying to stay away from google lol. 
    Am still waiting on appointment for a chest X-ray as well. So I’m assuming they won’t discuss my case in an MDT till that’s done as well. I took my sister with me to get the results of the biopsy. So glad i did, soon as the word hysterectomy and cancer was mentioned, i couldn’t take much in. 

• Thanks mrsbjh. I appreciate it. They did say stage 1 to me and believe it’s been caught early and just confined to womb. Think once i start to have tests and appointments, I’ll feel a bit better. Just so many unknowns. 
    It’s a no go with the kids situation. Fertility doc said at 45, i wouldn’t have much chance of getting pregnant. If i did, will most likely end in miscarriage or birth abnormalities. Also because of health problems, i would be classed as very high risk. 

• Hi Popsyloo, you may find they fit you in for a chest x Ray on the same day, straight after. At my hospital (Southampton) I wasn’t given an actual x Ray appointment but was just told to go along to the x Ray department after my MRI. When I went to the desk there were some puzzled looks and hurried phone conversations and then I was told someone would come and get me. About 5 mins later two nurses came along and called me and a man to go with them, and they took us to A&E x Ray which is separate. It meant they could fit us in without having to wait.  X Ray results were back a day later - my CNS told me they were clear. Do you know in which day of the week your MDT meet?

• They said the MDT meets on a Friday. My MRI is at 6pm Wednesday so don’t know whether I’ll be lucky to get my X-ray done at same time.