Radiotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi all I am new here, I was diagnosed with grade 2 stage 3c1 endometrial cancer in November 2021.  Having successfully undergone a fully hysterectomy in January 2022 and I have just completed 6 rounds of chemotherapy.  The plan was for me to have adjuvant radiotherapy but I decided either rightly or wrongly not to have this.  Has anyone else been in this situation. Many thanks in advance.

• Sorry should have said that one of my reasons for not having radiotherapy is that I have developed lymphoedema after the removal of lymph nodes after surgery which carries an increase risk if having radiotherapy.

• Hi Lizzie Ann

Welcome to this group, I myself have just recently had surgery so can't advise on chemotherapy / radiotherapy however there are other ladies who will be in a better position to give you their experiences and advice.

I too had my lymph nodes removed as my surgeon recommended it and I'm awaiting the final histology results (pre op I was Phase 1 stage 1b) - I was unsure about this myself as I was concerned about getting lymphodema.

Hopefully other ladies will be along soon to advise you further - this is a great group who all support and look out for each other.

• Hi Lizzie Ann and welcome to the group. I’m sorry no one has been along yet who has been in your situation. If it’s okay for me to ask, whereabouts do you have your lymphoedema and did your consultant advise against the radio? 

• Hi Ejax, 

Thanks for replying, hope when you get your results it will be good news.

• Hi MarmiteFan 59

My lymphodema started in my ankles and is now spreading to my feet and toes which when it happens makes walking difficult and painful. My consultant has NOT advised against radiotherapy it is choice that I have made for myself after long deliberation. I wrote a list of pros and cons and unfortunately for me the cons list far out weighed the pros. I have researched as much as possible the statistics of someone not having radiotherapy but just chemotherapy and there does not appear to be % wise much in it. My consultant still advises for me to have radiotherapy even though there is no overall survival benefit known with adjuvant radiotherapy.  I dammed if I do and I dammed if I don't. 

• Hi MarmiteFan 59

My lymphodema started in my ankles and is now spreading to my feet and toes which when it happens makes walking difficult and painful. My consultant has NOT advised against radiotherapy it is choice that I have made for myself after long deliberation. I wrote a list of pros and cons and unfortunately for me the cons list far out weighed the pros. I have researched as much as possible the statistics of someone not having radiotherapy but just chemotherapy and there does not appear to be % wise much in it. My consultant still advises for me to have radiotherapy even though there is no overall survival benefit known with adjuvant radiotherapy.  I dammed if I do and I dammed if I don't.