Awaiting biopsy results

• 4 replies
  • 87 subscribers

A few weeks ago I had some 'unexplained post menopausal bleeding'. It only lasted a few days and was quite light but decided to get it checked out at my local GP surgery. The Nurse Practioner was very efficient and arranged an urgent referral for a Pelvic Transvaginal Ultrasound. I had the Ultrasound yesterday and also saw a consultant who took biopsies from the lining of my womb. She explained that my cervix looked OK but there was thickening in the endometrium which wasn't a polyp so the biopsies would be checking for cancer. She explained that if the biopsies did show cancer then I would need a hysterectomy. I should get the results next week. I thought it might be cancer but it's still quite shocking when you hear that word. I'm 69 and healthy and, apart from not having children, I don't have any of the risk factors associated with endometrial cancer. I realise it's early days and it's yet to be confirmed but, obviously, my head's in a bit of a whirl! Any words of advice would be appreciated!

• Hello SH53, Welcome to our group. You will hopefully find that we can give you support and advice as many of us have been through the same tests and worries.  If you click on any of our profile names you will find our profile and you will see that I have a similar story as you-healthy, no children and just a small amount of post menopausal bleeding.  Waiting for results is difficult but we are all here for you.  Hugging

• Hi SH53, welcome to the group. I’ve just read your profile and can see you’ve had quite a lot going on with your health already so it must be especially difficult to have had this added into the mix. Hoping your results come through soon - it will largely depend on what day your MDT (multi disciplinary team) meet to share results and discuss. That’s usually once a week and the day varies from hospital to hospital. With my first lot of results, they said two weeks but it went just over that - so I phoned and was told my results had arrived on the Friday afternoon and just missed the MDT meeting (Friday morning) so it would take a further week. Please do let us know how you get on, 

• Thanks for replying. It's very reassuring knowing there are people on here who have had similar experiences. I was in a bit of a daze yesterday but feel a bit better today. 

• Thanks for replying. Yes I've not had the best of times over the last few years, fortunately the previous issues with my oesophagus weren't too serious in the end. I have an appointment with the consultant next Wednesday so not too long to wait for the results of the biopsies. Hopefully that will then initiate the treatment plan. Thanks for your support.