Another year to wait

• 13 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone is facing similar stressful waits and how they’re dealing with it?

I first went to my GP in October 2019 with symptoms of bleeding between periods and cycles with less than a week in between bleeding. Then the pandemic hit after I went back to the GP in January 2020 after no change.

I’m in my mid 40s now but previously had early stage cervical cancer in my early 30s. It took a year from my smear test to getting diagnosis. Administrative errors caused delays, results and I got lost in the system etc. This time around I eventually got a scan last October (2021). I was initially informed they’d found a ‘shadow’ on one of my ovaries. (There’s a long history of ovarian cancer in my family.) I was referred to a gynaecologist but the hospital said the waiting list means I won’t get seen until 2023. March this year my symptoms changed. The bleeding stopped and instead I needed to pee a lot more often than usual and felt full after not eating very much. My tummy started to swell. Went back to the GP who informed me I’d been given incorrect information and that the October 2021 scan actually showed a tumour in my womb. (My late father had bowel cancer too). Apparently I can’t get an urgent gynaecological referral unless I’m over 50. So, I sit and wait, feel more bloated, to the point of being too uncomfortable to sleep. Feel like I’m having a phantom pregnancy! GP has sent me for another scan, which won’t be until the end of July, as that’s all they can do. I’m aware it could just be fibroids. But having been through a similar rigmarole before, it’s hard to be optimistic. Not sure what if anything I can do except wait until next year. Just wondering if anyone is facing similar waits even with previous cancer history.

Thanks

• I called them this morning and they had a cancellation slot on Monday. So that’s great progress. Thanks for the suggestion.

• . Result! You could also say you'd take a cancellation should an hysterectomy operation slot become available. (assuming you could). I recall one of the ladies did just that and had her op following scans etc. very quickly.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• The hospital rang me to say there was a free slot 2 weeks before my set date. I went for the pre-op, but whilst there got told the operation was cancelled as they had an emergency. My operation went ahead as planned on the original date!!