Saying hello to the group

• 11 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi, there: It's my one week anniversary of the meeting when the doctor said that I have cancer in my uterus. I'm awaiting test results on CT scan and MRI. I have appreciated reading about other people's experiences. I'm not sure how worried to be, or how much to resign myself to closing down Life as I Know It. 

• Hi Robin.  Sorry to hear you have joined us on this journey.  We all felt like you when we were first diagnosed and of course all the waiting for tests then results can be frightening. 

First let me say you will get all the help, advice and positive thoughts on this forum. Just ask away and there will always be someone on here to talk to you, even if you think you are asking daft questions. There’s no right or wrong way to feel about your journey, everybody is different. You will get true answers from other ladies that have been where you are now.   I had so much good advice about the operation and little tips to make it easier. I felt so calm going down for my op but without the ladies on here I would have been a nervous wreck

I am just over a week post op and I’m doing great.  No pain, just a little discomfort sometimes but a couple of Paracetamol sorts that out.  No bending or stretching is a must. The thing is to listen to your body and if you feel tired then rest.  As far as closing down your life as you know it, it’s not the end because we have cancer we just work our way through it and come out the other side.  Like me - life is just a bit different just now but it’s just another obstacle. 

I am sending you a big hug and positive thoughts.  Just read some of the profiles on here and you will see it’s just a journey we are on.  Ask anything you think will make you feel better and someone will be there for you. 

Good luck and try not to worry.  Maureen xx

• Thank you. It makes me feel better just to read this. 

• And I am so glad you are doing well post op! That’s great! 

• Hello Robinlondoner 

Sorry you have been told you have cancer. Don't give up yet....you may only need surgery for hysterectomy and be cured !!! Don't be ever giving up hope, there's always something that can be done.

Wow looks like things are moving pretty fast for you which is good means you don't have to wait long for the results.  Waiting is the hardest part  to live with.

This is a fantastic supportive group that will help you hopefully as much as it's helped me. 

Please feel free to just rant or share or ask advice about procedures   there's many ladies on here that have a wealth of experience some are early on and some are on the  follow up  after surgery and treatment,  we arexall here fir you to help you cope and understand the many things thst will be thrown your way. 

Take care  hope your results come back soon  please do let us know if we can be of any help.  Xxx

Madesp 
  • Hi Robin, welcome to the group. Like others on this group, I will always remember the day last November that I was told over the phone that I had cancer and I feel for you in the battle to take it all in and find a way forward. And of course all the agonies and frustrations of the waiting.  I had my op in January, and recovered well, and on Thursday this week I finish my radiotherapy. It feels overwhelming, but you can do this. Please do let us know when you get your results and op date. 

• Hi Robin

Sorry to hear that you have found yourself here with us. We have all been where you are now so we understand.

When I was told I remember having a whole host of feeling and emotions and to make matters worse I went on to my medical notes online and read the words High Grade Serous Cancer. I didn't know what that meant so used Dr Google to research. I wished now that I hadn't looked at my notes because it was 3 weeks until I had my 1st consultant meeting to find out exactly what this meant and what treatment i would have.

Google is so out of date, I really advise using either Cancer research, Macmillan or the NHS sites if you want to look up something. For me though by far the best source of information, support and advice has been this lovely group of ladies. if you have been given a CSN contact telephone number they can advise on results and be your link to your consultant and they never mind you calling.

We are all at different stages of our journeys on this group but there is always someone who you can ask, or vent to if need be.

I personally couldn't have come through this as well as i have without them. I start my Chemo on Friday and without Madesp and the ladies on the Chemo thread I don't know what I would of done.

I feel very prepared and have the knowledge I need to get started on this next leg of my journey all thanks to them.

Don't close down RobinL it's just an obstacle in your life but nothing you can't overcome. Cancer won't beat you, you will beat it! 

We are here for you. 

Big hugs Robin27 xxxx

• Hi 

sorry you’ve joined the many women with this diagnosis but you are now on the journey that many of the lovely ladies on this group  have been or are still going through and in the months to come you will I’m sure find the support and information I have found invaluable. I was diagnosed in February and ready to start my Chemoradiation treatment on 9th June. As others say - don’t Google - I did at the beginning and scared myself with what I found but realised much of Google results are outdated. Life will change as you go through this journey but I  look at it as a hump in the road to the rest of my life.  Be assured there’s always someone to give a reassuring hug or answer a question or just listen to a rant. You will get there 

Hugs

Chriissie xx

• Hi . I so felt for you when I read your bio. So few words but totally filled with sorrow. Then I read all the welcoming messages from the lovely ladies on here and had a warm feeling. You're now in a good place and you're not alone in this.

Believe me, we've all been where you are now, afraid, disbelieving and numb. Cancer happens to other people - we've all thought it, this time it's our turn!

Don't think about closing down life as you know it, you're just about to go through a new blip. Let us know what the results of the scan will reveal. Then the MDT (Multi discipline team consisting of Surgeons, Oncologists, anaesthetists, CNS's and theatre staff) will meet and discuss your treatment going forward.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re all here to support you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello Robin,

Welcome to our group. Sorry that you have joined us on this journey but you are not alone. We are here for you.
    It’s been two weeks since my hysterectomy (& BSO) and I can honestly say that all the ladies here have been a tremendous  help and support to me from the very start. You will feel a big comforting hug from this wonderful group.And some good humour too! So any questions you have, feel free to ask.
    There’s also your CNS nurse and the MacMillan helpline.

Take care and let us know if you need anything we can help you with. 

Sending you big hugs,

Gemma Xx

• Thank you, Fellow Robin. That's all I can say, but it is heartfelt.